• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

I used to work with a guy who had his camper van parked in the company car park, and lived in it. The client didnt mind. I thought it was cool.

In another place I worked with a guy who was commuting from one end of the country to the other in his private plane. That too was cool. He offered me a ride in it, I should have taken him up on it.
    GJABS says hi...

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
      if you live within 50km of London and it is not a tuliphole, your rent / mortgage would be through the roof anyway. You are a slave to the bank / landlord and would be forced to work all year around to cover the dues to the master.

this discussion was about bizniz people doing bizniz not people living paycheque to paycheque and trying to find mental excuses for their condition.
      You not a bizniz person if caught by IR35, you are a PAYE employee.

And rents in London for a single person/couple are not as much as you think, £2000 centre, £1500 zone 3, £1000 zone 6.
      Last edited by Fraidycat; 13 May 2023, 19:23.

Comment

Another useless statistic that helps nobody, if you live within 50km of London and it is not a tuliphole, your rent / mortgage would be through the roof anyway. You are a slave to the bank / landlord and would be forced to work all year around to cover the dues to the master.

this discussion was about bizniz people doing bizniz not people living paycheque to paycheque and trying to find mental excuses for their condition.

same with people talking about “being in the 1-2% while earning 100k.
        bitch please, you live month to month and all you can afford after working 1 year is a ugly french car on finance.
        You can certainly live an hour from London and it potentially isn't that expensive to live there, certainly by London standards.

There are tens of millions of people who can commute to London and back in a day. In fact if you have had a career in the City you would have almost certainly settled in London or the commuter belt. It's the exception who have to stay over.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          There are tens of millions of people who can commute to London and back in a day. In fact if you have had a career in the City you would have almost certainly settled in London or the commuter belt. It's the exception who have to stay over.
          I’ve made some pretty bucks over the previous years but waiting for my daddy to give me some dosh for a deposit to afford anywhere close to the city. It’s been very very hard.
          He has been mentioning working hard and earning your own way in life which seems to be very confusing.
          Do people actually afford it out of a 8k salary or are just putting up a show for the brokies?

Comment

I’ve made some pretty bucks over the previous years but waiting for my daddy to give me some dosh for a deposit to afford anywhere close to the city. It’s been very very hard.
            He has been mentioning working hard and earning your own way in life which seems to be very confusing.
            Do people actually afford it out of a 8k salary or are just putting up a show for the brokies?
            Are you implying it's a struggle on 8K post tax monthly income in your bank?

Comment

I genuinely don't know what you are talking about.

I have never worked in the City of London but in the last 25 years have worked in offices behind Borough Market, Clerkenwell, Holborn, Brick Lane and next to Old Street roundabout which are geographically basically the City and have commuted every day getting on a train at about 0700, which at the moment would cost me about £600. To say that potentially tens of millions of people have to stay in London.

If you can't cope on £8k a month then there are plenty of people who can.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                Are you implying it's a struggle on 8K post tax monthly income in your bank?
                He wants to live in central London, but he doesn't want to take on a big mortgage or rent an expensive place, or even a cheaper place further out.

He either wants house prices to be cheaper, or to be able to rent a nice pad in central London cheaply while he saves the cash to buy.

And because most of us cant afford to buy a place in Central London, it means we are all wage slaves.
                Last edited by Fraidycat; 14 May 2023, 14:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

He wants to live in central London, but he doesn't want to take on a big mortgage or rent an expensive place, or even a cheaper place further out.

He either wants house prices to be cheaper, or to be able to rent a nice pad in central London cheaply while he saves the cash to buy.

And because most of us cant afford to buy a place in Central London, it means we are all wage slaves.
                  Outside of some social housing (which you have to have connections to the area to get), it is only a slight exaggeration to say anyone living in Central London now is born into money or is extremely successful. There are very good reasons London has better public transport than the rest of the country and large parts of the area round the M25 are called the stockbroker belt.

People have been commuting into the city for more than a century, and more recently Docklands. For him to say otherwise is ludicrous.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post

Outside of some social housing (which you have to have connections to the area to get), it is only a slight exaggeration to say anyone living in Central London now is born into money or is extremely successful. There are very good reasons London has better public transport than the rest of the country and large parts of the area round the M25 are called the stockbroker belt.

People have been commuting into the city for more than a century, and more recently Docklands. For him to say otherwise is ludicrous.
                    Up until the early 2000s there was a little known way to buy affordable property by central London standards and that was buying in an ex-council block. You had to really do detailed research to find these gems but many of these single blocks (as opposed to estates) had a high percentage of private owners, often elderly.

I managed to buy a 2 double bedroom flat in Belgravia SW1, arguably London's most prestigious postcode, for about £300k in today's money. Just 300 yards from me were houses that today are worth £50m.

Once more people discovered this route, prices started rising sharply. I left London in the mid-2000s and sold my flat which in hindsight was a mistake. As an illustration of how expensive central London property became, that flat ended up being worth more than my four storey Victorian house just 20 miles north in Hertfordshire.

I grew up in a real dump in southeast London, an area that has traditionally had practically the cheapest housing in any London borough. Even there, a very ordinary three bed semi is approaching £500k now.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

Up until the early 2000s there was a little known way to buy affordable property by central London standards and that was buying in an ex-council block. You had to really do detailed research to find these gems but many of these single blocks (as opposed to estates) had a high percentage of private owners, often elderly.

I managed to buy a 2 double bedroom flat in Belgravia SW1, arguably London's most prestigious postcode, for about £300k in today's money. Just 300 yards from me were houses that today are worth £50m.
                      The only thing you ignoring is age.

Unfortunately some people posting on this board were children or weren't alive to take advantage of cheaper house prices.

This is where all the moaning comes from.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X