• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by tsmith View Post
    How much that nets and whether I can get a VISA is another thing.
    You probably can't, unless you're working for an institution that's exempt from the cap on H1-B, for example. These visas are capped annually and the annual cap disappears instantly. You'll have more luck with contract opportunities if you have a niche or in-demand skillset, but contracting in the US is very different from the UK, and it also takes time to build contacts. You may get a remote, permie, position, but then you're also competing with broader and cheaper markets than the UK, so you may not see the huge increment attached to equivalent US roles, which absolutely exists, I agree.

Leave a comment:

• tsmith
    replied
    Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
    Bank that sounds like Bitty? I WANT BITTY! Cant guess. Little Britain settings

Interesting just had that convo with my family yesterday eg I might have to go to the USA. Then today just got my first interview in a year with an American company.

classic quote in that article - "the UK could join India as an offshore jobs market for highly skilled talent on the cheap. Cheap for American standards that is."

Salaries in the USA seem insane for tech compared to here thats for sure. It seems to be $150k+ for what I do.

How much that nets and whether I can get a VISA is another thing.

The way things are falling salary wise in the UK eg back to 2003 levels - thats moving towards 3X what Ive been approached for recently

This is the total number of SAAS companies by country, USA literally 10x.

As we've discussed before a lot of those USA SAAS companies will be pitching off the shelf solutions to UK companies to kill their bespoke internal systems. And with it nuking the UK headcount.
    United States 9,100
    United Kingdom 1,500
    Canada 992
    Germany 840
    India 711

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by avonleigh View Post
    From freelance informer today.
    For anyone who looked at that URL and thought "nope!", it's an article which refers to "a recent IPSE survey". So, probably better to go directly to the source:
    One in 10 contractors out of work due to controversial tax changes | IPSE

Key points:

One in ten highly skilled freelancers are currently out of work due to the impact of controversial reforms to IR35 tax legislation, according to new research.

A survey of more than 1,300 contractors in highly skilled roles found that 21% are not currently working, with half of them attributing this to the impact of reforms to IR35 tax rules.

Meanwhile, 55% of contractors said they had rejected an offer of work in the past 12 months due to it being deemed ‘inside IR35’ by the client. Furthermore, 24% said they intend to seek contracts overseas this year to escape the rules.

Leave a comment:

• avonleigh
    replied
    From freelance informer today.

http://url406.freelance-informer.com...LsyKpT3peO0-3D

Leave a comment:

• pjt
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

how's the warchest? Must be pretty chunky after 16 years with so little time on the bench
    Very healthy, but I'm not enjoyiong seeing it decrease might take some getting used to lol

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    in FS the only place hiring contractors seems to be the Bank that sounds a bit like "Bitty", working there makes the trials for the SAS look like a trip to the Dorcester for afternoon tea with your granny.
    They are always hiring as people always leave.

Leave a comment:

• rocktronAMP
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

how's the warchest? Must be pretty chunky after 16 years with so little time on the bench
    Yes haha! 16 years of continuous income at a high rate, how lovely PCTNN? I can only dream of it with flaming hindsight.

Did IP ever PCP on a car with hefty balloon payment?
    Did IP ever move from 2.5 bedroom terraced house in a built-up dense town area to a lovely 4.5 bedroom detached town house with 50 foot garden in a plush desirable area? (Did you hear that news about the Chanceller saying £100K is not as much as you'd think it is?)
    Did IP blow £££ on gambling?
    Did IP max out credit cards on fur coats and boats and ski chalets and what not and invest in a pleasure boat?
    Did IP go all out in terms fishing equipment? or build that expensive music recording studio in the shed / garden allotment?
    Did IP buy diamonds and pearls for the lovely spouse / missus / mister (or side person)?

I bust out laughing at PCTNN and then after one minute I stopped laughing with the seriousness of it all. Flaming hindsight. I'd have kept working and working myself if and only if I knew one IOTA of the last 7,8,9, 10 years and I would've cut excessive spend for truth.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by pjt View Post

Snap! Been on ther bench since end of 2023 with very little in the way of promising leads since. First time in 16 years I've had more than 2 weeks on the bench and at the moment its looking like I might be waiting a good while yet for the next role.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    I would add that getting several hundred applications for a contract or job isn't a new thing. The difference might be a higher percentage are actually capable of doing the role at the moment.
    Sure, I was simply highlighting what others said several times already, that unless you have some links to the recruiter / client, or manage to get your CV in the first 10-20 CVs, your CV is most likely going to drown in a sea of other applications.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    I would add that getting several hundred applications for a contract or job isn't a new thing. The difference might be a higher percentage are actually capable of doing the role at the moment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X