• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extended Jury Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended Jury Service

I have JS next week, however had a note saying a trial may go on for longer than the 2 weeks I am down to do it, possibly 9 weeks and asking if i am available.

Not sure IPSE would cover for that long, sure I will do my public duty of the 2 weeks but I would not be able to do that. Would anyone that isn't on the rock & roll?

Anyone else had this before?

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

If you are called for and serve on a jury you will be compensated up to £500 per day served subject to a maximum 10 day period or £2,500 (for Freelancer and Umbrella members) or £5,000 (for Director members), based on your current contract and less a deduction of any amount recovered from the relevant court. Making a claim is as simple as filling out the relevant claim form and providing evidence of your service. Once you have been an IPSE member for at least 60 days, you are eligible for this benefit.
    I believe from other Jury posts you are able to get out of it by documenting the impact on your situation? Worth investigating quick. Try a search for the previous threads but must be some info on your paperwork how to submit your appeal?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I believe from other Jury posts you are able to get out of it by documenting the impact on your situation? Worth investigating quick. Try a search for the previous threads but must be some info on your paperwork how to submit your appeal?
      They are only canvassing potential 9 week availability however I am putting together my reasons now.

Cheers.

qh

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

They are only canvassing potential 9 week availability however I am putting together my reasons now.

Cheers.

qh
        Silly question, but why not ask IPSE themselves what they will cover?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It’s listed above maximum £5,000.

given the pot of money that comes from I can’t see any more being available
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Cheers.

qh
            I was called up for jury service some time ago. I wrote back explaining that, while I saw it as a very important social responsibility, mine was the only income in our household and, being freelance, I wouldn't be paid by anyone else while doing it. I also mentioned that if the jury service lasted more than a week or two, there was a good chance my client would decide to terminate the contract.

They wrote back dismissing me from it but making it clear that next time I might not be able to avoid it. I felt bad not doing my public duty, but this was at a time when I'd been out of contract for a little while (post 9/11) and was just getting my warchest back on track. Things may have changed a lot in the meantime, I have no idea.

Comment

I have JS next week, however had a note saying a trial may go on for longer than the 2 weeks I am down to do it, possibly 9 weeks and asking if i am available.

Not sure IPSE would cover for that long, sure I will do my public duty of the 2 weeks but I would not be able to do that. Would anyone that isn't on the rock & roll?

Anyone else had this before?

qh
              They only need 15 people to say yes (of which 12 will end up on the case) and they'll be asking 90+ people if they're available. As long as you give them the standard reasons (self employed etc) then the judge should waive you off that case

^ based on my experience of similar

They don't want to "force" anyone to stay there for 9 weeks that really doesn't want to because they know your ability to process the case with a clear and 'fair' mind will be impacted on if you're going to be stressing about losing your income etc

Comment

Way it works is that you come down to the court and sit there waiting to be assigned to a trial together with others for those two weeks. You may get lucky and you will not get assigned to any and will just get home and forget about it.

My first week went well, I was not assigned, was able to do some work while waiting and they even let me go home Thursday morning asking to check email about Monday. Next week my luck run out, got assigned to trial from Monday morning and spent two more weeks there, ending up serving 3 weeks in total. Compensation from court was just over £700 which also been taxed later, so lost about £4k in earnings. Client was understanding - got no trouble from there for sudden time-off.

You can try to get excused before going there as mentioned in post above. When you start your JS, and get assigned to trial it will be much harder to do as it some cases one juror leaving may mean re-trial, so loss of earnings may not necessary be seen as good reason. Time it takes and type of trial you'll get assigned is out of your control. Some people manage to do two trials in two weeks, some sit for 4 weeks on single one.

Comment

It was agreed I would only do two weeks however for the first two days I just sat in the "Juror pool". Finally got assigned a trial on third day however it must have been the shortest in history as there was no defence offered, so it was basically done and dusted in one afternoon. Very bizarre.

Was excused Friday/Monday and they told me today I am done JS completely. Only three days away so can't complain.

qh
                  Last edited by quackhandle; Yesterday, 17:29.

Comment

For anyone who's done jury service, did you put it on your CV or LinkedIn profile? It's not directly relevant to your career, and if I was a permie then I wouldn't bother (i.e. it would just be invisible within that employment). However, as a contractor I could see it being useful to explain a gap, particularly if it's an extended period (e.g. the 9 weeks from this scenario).

Comment

Working...
                    X