• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Extended Jury Service"

Collapse

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

I have no duties to a establishment that tore up the societal contract we once had. These things only work if people go along with them, not if they are determined to be ungovernable. £1000 fine? That's much less than I'd earn in the 2 weeks trials tend to take. Though first I'd go mental health sick note route. Sorry you're honor. Another 9 month delay to reschedule? Awww shame.
    Regardless of the state of the social contract, if you were facing a jury trial, I bet you'd prefer a balanced jury of people from all parts of society, not just those who either can't get out of it or have absolutely nothing better to do with their time. Perhaps you could view it more as an opportunity to help someone else get a fair trial and less as being a dutiful vassal of The Establishment.

The cost of that rescheduling comes out of your taxes and means that a potentially innocent defendant has the case hanging over them for another 9 months, possibly being on remand during that time, all because you choose to stick a finger up to "The Man" by not helping that person get a swifter verdict. Meanwhile you don't see the irony of your complaint about the breakdown of the social contract.
    Last edited by Snooky; 20 May 2024, 10:51.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

What is that expression? F**k around and find out.

Saying that my brother-in-law got selected for JS and he said his religious beliefs (Christian) would not permit him to pass judgement on any other person. He was not selected.

Seeing how many people were left (over 100) after not being selected for any trial last Thursday the legal bods make sure they have far more people to pick from that there are trials for any given day.

qh
    Exactly. Why would they try and force someone who doesn't want to do it rather than just use another mug off the list?

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied

What happens if someone says, I think the justice system is a joke and I want zero involvement in your pathetic circus? What can they do? Force you to attend knowing you will disrupt and undermine wherever you can? Or just accept its better to pick someone else.
    What is that expression? F**k around and find out.

Saying that my brother-in-law got selected for JS and he said his religious beliefs (Christian) would not permit him to pass judgement on any other person. He was not selected.

Seeing how many people were left (over 100) after not being selected for any trial last Thursday the legal bods make sure they have far more people to pick from that there are trials for any given day.

qh

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It's a duty and you can be fined £1000 for not attending or ignoring the summons. They'll take arguments like you know someone involved in the case and other work related ones to get you off but you could still get called up in the future. Lying on reasons not to attend will also land you a fine. The comment you said above doesn't wash either.
    I have no duties to a establishment that tore up the societal contract we once had. These things only work if people go along with them, not if they are determined to be ungovernable. £1000 fine? That's much less than I'd earn in the 2 weeks trials tend to take. Though first I'd go mental health sick note route. Sorry you're honor. Another 9 month delay to reschedule? Awww shame.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

What happens if someone says, I think the justice system is a joke and I want zero involvement in your pathetic circus? What can they do? Force you to attend knowing you will disrupt and undermine wherever you can? Or just accept its better to pick someone else.
    It's a duty and you can be fined £1000 for not attending or ignoring the summons. They'll take arguments like you know someone involved in the case and other work related ones to get you off but you could still get called up in the future. Lying on reasons not to attend will also land you a fine. The comment you said above doesn't wash either.

Conscientious objection to serving on a jury

You don't have the right to refuse to serve on a jury on the grounds that you object to jury service in principle. If you want to object to serving on the jury because of the subject matter of the case, you can only be excused at the court's discretion.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied

They are only canvassing potential 9 week availability however I am putting together my reasons now.

Cheers.

qh

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    For anyone who's done jury service, did you put it on your CV or LinkedIn profile? It's not directly relevant to your career, and if I was a permie then I wouldn't bother (i.e. it would just be invisible within that employment). However, as a contractor I could see it being useful to explain a gap, particularly if it's an extended period (e.g. the 9 weeks from this scenario).

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    It was agreed I would only do two weeks however for the first two days I just sat in the "Juror pool". Finally got assigned a trial on third day however it must have been the shortest in history as there was no defence offered, so it was basically done and dusted in one afternoon. Very bizarre.

Was excused Friday/Monday and they told me today I am done JS completely. Only three days away so can't complain.

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 14 May 2024, 17:29.

Leave a comment:

• Sub
    replied
    Way it works is that you come down to the court and sit there waiting to be assigned to a trial together with others for those two weeks. You may get lucky and you will not get assigned to any and will just get home and forget about it.

My first week went well, I was not assigned, was able to do some work while waiting and they even let me go home Thursday morning asking to check email about Monday. Next week my luck run out, got assigned to trial from Monday morning and spent two more weeks there, ending up serving 3 weeks in total. Compensation from court was just over £700 which also been taxed later, so lost about £4k in earnings. Client was understanding - got no trouble from there for sudden time-off.

You can try to get excused before going there as mentioned in post above. When you start your JS, and get assigned to trial it will be much harder to do as it some cases one juror leaving may mean re-trial, so loss of earnings may not necessary be seen as good reason. Time it takes and type of trial you'll get assigned is out of your control. Some people manage to do two trials in two weeks, some sit for 4 weeks on single one.

Leave a comment:

• pr1
    replied
    I have JS next week, however had a note saying a trial may go on for longer than the 2 weeks I am down to do it, possibly 9 weeks and asking if i am available.

Not sure IPSE would cover for that long, sure I will do my public duty of the 2 weeks but I would not be able to do that. Would anyone that isn't on the rock & roll?

Anyone else had this before?

qh
    They only need 15 people to say yes (of which 12 will end up on the case) and they'll be asking 90+ people if they're available. As long as you give them the standard reasons (self employed etc) then the judge should waive you off that case

^ based on my experience of similar

They don't want to "force" anyone to stay there for 9 weeks that really doesn't want to because they know your ability to process the case with a clear and 'fair' mind will be impacted on if you're going to be stressing about losing your income etc

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied

They are only canvassing potential 9 week availability however I am putting together my reasons now.

Cheers.

qh
    I was called up for jury service some time ago. I wrote back explaining that, while I saw it as a very important social responsibility, mine was the only income in our household and, being freelance, I wouldn't be paid by anyone else while doing it. I also mentioned that if the jury service lasted more than a week or two, there was a good chance my client would decide to terminate the contract.

They wrote back dismissing me from it but making it clear that next time I might not be able to avoid it. I felt bad not doing my public duty, but this was at a time when I'd been out of contract for a little while (post 9/11) and was just getting my warchest back on track. Things may have changed a lot in the meantime, I have no idea.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    It’s listed above maximum £5,000.

given the pot of money that comes from I can’t see any more being available

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Cheers.

qh
    Silly question, but why not ask IPSE themselves what they will cover?

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I believe from other Jury posts you are able to get out of it by documenting the impact on your situation? Worth investigating quick. Try a search for the previous threads but must be some info on your paperwork how to submit your appeal?

Cheers.

qh

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If you are called for and serve on a jury you will be compensated up to £500 per day served subject to a maximum 10 day period or £2,500 (for Freelancer and Umbrella members) or £5,000 (for Director members), based on your current contract and less a deduction of any amount recovered from the relevant court. Making a claim is as simple as filling out the relevant claim form and providing evidence of your service. Once you have been an IPSE member for at least 60 days, you are eligible for this benefit.
    I believe from other Jury posts you are able to get out of it by documenting the impact on your situation? Worth investigating quick. Try a search for the previous threads but must be some info on your paperwork how to submit your appeal?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X