• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things looking good in the Euro area, Euro expected to strengthen.

Euro to strengthen

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post
      If you only buy funds then yes HL is very expensive, if however you only but stocks and shares the management fee is a maximum of £200 a year
      For a SIPP or long-term investment, rather than day/month-trading, the fees compound over the years to result in massive loss of income. This is the reason HL's share has dipped in the past week.

You won't beat the market and you'll be gambling if you think you can choose some random shares and do better than a tracker. With the stockmarket at an all time high, wait until the cool off until investing. In doing this, you can aim for some cheap trackers, such as Vanguard, then leave the money in there alone for as many years or decades as you wish. Your output will be lower.

It's now shown that even long term your fund manager likely won't beat the market. The odd example of success isn't good enough. Stability and reliability are the way forward, particularly in the current climate. I intimate again, do not invest your funds quite yet until the market cools off significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        Yup markets looking good, though I think they've now plateaued.

Waiting for a correction, to pile in with more cash.

Yep, waiting for that before I put more pension in.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Yep, waiting for that before I put more pension in.
          Yep got good sum on european funds and some in india (which is losing now though)

Comment

....and don't take random advice about the market being overheated either, trickle funds in at regular intervals.

Comment

This is what Trump and Brexit have done!

Damn them!

Comment

apologies if its already been discussed I didn't fancy going through 50 odd pages in this thread. Anyone have views on whether it is better to pop excess funds (£5K ish) in an ISA or SIPP?

I've got both set up at the moment but won't hit my annual contribution limit on either this year (lots of commitments means poor savings year) so am wondering whether its better to get the bumph from the tax relief on SIPP or go ISA so that the eventual income is tax free?

Again apologies if this has already been discussed.

Comment

It's been discussed around page 10 and again around page 25.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
                    For a SIPP or long-term investment, rather than day/month-trading, the fees compound over the years to result in massive loss of income. This is the reason HL's share has dipped in the past week.
                    The reason HL share price has dipped this week is because Vanguard have announced they will start selling funds directly in the UK for the first time, cutting out middlemen like HL.

Not sure why you state fees only compound for buying stocks and shares, the same principle will apply to the fees in a fund, any fund whether buying direct or through a broker
                    Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

Hmmm, I might have to bail out of my EZJ soon. They're roughly back to what I paid pre-referendum, and I think they're at least fairly valued now. I totally bottled it with BARC and sold those at a hefty loss last year (would've been a hefty gain if I hadn't bottled it) Pension is looking a bit cleverer, but that's mainly in funds. Contract income in Dollars is looking a lot better, although we're well off the trough in Cable.

Comment

Working...
                      X