• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I am putting a lot of cash into Metro bank at the moment. I expect a take over soon.
    Having done a stint at Metro in the early days I see that as a very courageous act
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
      People are going to shout Hargreaves-Lansdown at you. Ignore them, they are fools. Huge service fees which eat into your SIPP (self invested personal pension) pot, stocks and shares ISA or share-dealing account.

There are numerous others who are cheap and work fine. You can do your own fund/share research on many other websites. Halifax iWeb seems decent and has plenty of users. Interface has just been revamped.

Check out the pricing and then compare your own expected number of trading costs and service fees with Hargreaves-Lansdown. You won't choose the latter, if you can use a calculator and scale over the years.

Final note: stock markets have never been this high, yet the major economies are, in reality, performing awfully. Company P/E (profits to earnings) ratios are sky high. Do NOT invest right now. Await the crash. That's my advice.
      Sound advice, thanks a lot! I'm waiting for the crash!

Originally posted by InsertWittyNameHere555 View Post
      If you only buy funds then yes HL is very expensive, if however you only but stocks and shares the management fee is a maximum of £200 a year
      Cheers i'll have a look and do a comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Petrofac. Fill your boots.
        OK all you big money guys, (and ladies, natch) what did you buy Petrofac at then, I'll start -

385p.

Fill your boots, did you?
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

OK all you big money guys, (and ladies, natch) what did you buy Petrofac at then, I'll start -

385p.

What's your target and time frame for this one?

Comment

385p.

If they keep their dividend payments at a similar level it's a boom time, but just like the debacle with Glencore unless you are investing long terms I'd stay away
            Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

I would say it is different from Glencore. Petrofac is facing an investigation. With Glencore it was simply "hysteria", i.e. an overreaction to faliing Copper prices. In the end you know Copper prices will recover. The investigation however could be very damaging.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                I would say it is different from Glencore. Petrofac is facing an investigation. With Glencore it was simply "hysteria", i.e. an overreaction to faliing Copper prices. In the end you know Copper prices will recover. The investigation however could be very damaging.
                Look at the share price of Tesco's to see how this might pan out then
                Contracting is like plumbing. You're your own boss until you walk into someone's house and they tell you to take your shoes off.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
                  What's your target and time frame for this one?
                  I'd say realistically three to five years to turn up maybe a three bagger. I am assuming the dividends will be at least reduced to cover any liabilities from the SFO inquiries. PFC have more than GBP 14bn in the order book so if new project wins are bit scarce in the short term it is not going to affect the business. And they are still picking up new work at the moment. They have also rolled over their loan facility in the last few weeks so they are certainly not short of cash.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Winners and Losers in the event of a Labour victory
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Got combimatrix (CBMX.US) @ 4.25.
                      30% y/y growth , swing to profit this year, good news, good management. Still bargain price, trading at 1x turnover.

Comment

Working...
                      X