• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A year on, the return on the shares I bought last year is 18% in GBP .......in EUR 4.5%

That was mainly in the FTSE.

The star of the portfolio was, Glencore, who I will be presenting an award to for excellent management, as they made a return in EUR of 30%
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 September 2016, 15:18.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Pah, my house doubles in value every day.

Comment

Good effort! As Glencore has roughly doubled, (well done), did everything else you bought tank?

A year is not long for shares, the sample HYP LTBH portfolio I put together here is up 12% over 18 months, about 9% of which is dividends paid (not counting SSE dividend due today). Over the same period the FTSE 100 and AllShare returned …..0%.

Not stellar but workmanlike returns, hopefully sustainable as compounding starts to work its magic. Not bad for a portfolio consisting of

bombed stocks not paying a dividend in the next year.
        As someone characterised it at the time.
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
          Good effort! As Glencore has roughly doubled, (well done), did everything else you bought tank?

A year is not long for shares, the sample HYP LTBH portfolio I put together here is up 12% over 18 months, about 9% of which is dividends paid (not counting SSE dividend due today). Over the same period the FTSE 100 and AllShare returned …..0%.

Not stellar but workmanlike returns, hopefully sustainable as compounding starts to work its magic. Not bad for a portfolio consisting of

As someone characterised it at the time.
          I didn't buy Glencore at the bottom, but I got 50%. Did well also on Dow chemical and flat on the others in GBP. Interestingly after Brexit Glencore went up and the other FTSE shares went down (in EUR) as some commodity prices recovered strongly. Most of my FTSE shares in GBP were fairly flat.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

The pound down as Boris opens his big mouth on Brexit.

Pound Drops as Johnson Comments Raise Specter of Swift Brexit - Bloomberg

Would be a good idea to exit the pound before they initiate article 50.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              The star of the portfolio was, Glencore
              I *never* buy individual shares. Always ETF's.

However last, year, purely based on the ramblings of this forum I grabbed a few hundred GLEN at just below a quid.

That's a really, really bad investment strategy. Usually.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                I *never* buy individual shares. Always ETF's.

However last, year, purely based on the ramblings of this forum I grabbed a few hundred GLEN at just below a quid.

That's a really, really bad investment strategy. Usually.
                I'm the opposite, only shares and now funds.

Each to their own and depends how active you want to be
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I came into a GBP inheritance this June - bought some shares before the referendum, most after. Currently I'm up around 15.5% - largely thanks to ARM and FEVR. In CHF terms, 3.8% - but as I wasn't planning to convert the money anyway, that's notional.

Started buying Swiss and US shares in January with "real" money (i.e. money I've earned). That's down 3.5%. despite some good performers - e.g. BARN (Swiss cocoa importer). Of the US oneso nly AMZN and SHPG have brought me profit in CHF terms.

I'm adopting a buy and hold strategy, growth, not dividends so much. Putting the money away for 20 years.

I've been very lucky in that three different companies went through merger/takeovers just after I'd invested in them, netting immediate returns.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If we'd have voted Remain, the FTSE would be at 99999999999999999999999999, Gidiot and Camoron said so.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      If we'd have voted Remain, the FTSE would be at 99999999999999999999999999, Gidiot and Camoron said so.
                      That's hyper-inflation for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X