• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    I'm the opposite, only shares and now funds.

Each to their own and depends how active you want to be
    How many different shares do you own and how often do you buy into them?

The reason I shifted most of my portfolio ( there are a few individual shares left in it ) into trackers was because I would end up buying some share one year and a different ones the next. I ended up with a lot of small holdings in numerous companies that I could never really keep track of.

So I shifted the majority into around 4 Vanguard & ishares trackers. So I can effectively top-up every month.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
      How many different shares do you own and how often do you buy into them?

The reason I shifted most of my portfolio ( there are a few individual shares left in it ) into trackers was because I would end up buying some share one year and a different ones the next. I ended up with a lot of small holdings in numerous companies that I could never really keep track of.

So I shifted the majority into around 4 Vanguard & ishares trackers. So I can effectively top-up every month.
      I have 27 different shares and two on a watch list, I never sell shares (had PFL but they've been taken over so got cashed out). All dividends are reinvested back into the company which paid them out, done automatically once a month so no transaction fees. The only exception is for a share that has gone up in value substantially and made me over weight in that one, I transfer that to a cash holding and will buy one do the two watch list share when the cash pot equals about 3% of the total portfolio value which is what I try to limit myself to each holding.
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I have 27 different shares and two on a watch list, I never sell shares (had PFL but they've been taken over so got cashed out). All dividends are reinvested back into the company which paid them out, done automatically once a month so no transaction fees. The only exception is for a share that has gone up in value substantially and made me over weight in that one, I transfer that to a cash holding and will buy one do the two watch list share when the cash pot equals about 3% of the total portfolio value which is what I try to limit myself to each holding.
        Sounds like a sensible plan, especially the rebalancing approach. And always keep a pot of cash somewhere to benefit from any sharp crashes / oversold market conditions to buy up at bargain prices.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          Sounds like a sensible plan, especially the rebalancing approach. And always keep a pot of cash somewhere to benefit from any sharp crashes / oversold market conditions to buy up at bargain prices.
          I've doubled my money in four years, I'm only 35 so a good 20 years + before I can access the pension, I'm confident the approach will do me well even though on paper I think he lost money on 9 shares and made on 18, but that only comes in to play if I ever sell the shares but as long as the keep paying dividends I have no plan to. Dividend yield is running about 7% on the capital invested, or 4.8% on the total value

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Stock market doing well

Shares bought in Autumn 2015 now up 55%, in pounds of course, in EUR's not bad though 27%
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Indeed. Almost exactly 2 years ago I posted up a sample portfolio illustrating my HYP approach.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2057027

£10,000 invested in that portfolio then would now be worth £11,438.08. Depressed in the first year by the Great Fall of China, assisted by Trumpflation recently, a big chunk of the 14% odd growth came since last November.

My real-world portfolio has done a little better, purely by fluke, as I dodged the Tesco fiasco. The usual takeaways …. Shares are for the long term - diversify, reinvest dividends, resist the urge to tinker or try and time the market.
              My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

The big profit was due to Glencore, which doubled otherwise the rest was 25% growth, with good gains from Dow Chemical and Shell.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Last year dividend income came in at 7.23% on capital / 5.22% on value, overall I was up 12.27% 1st Jan to 31st December, and all in I only paid £200 in fees

Slowly reinvesting dividends back into most of the shares, (am overweight in AV, GSK and LLOY so they go in to the pool to reinvest elsewhere), trimmed my Tesco losses to about 12% and signs that dividends will start again this year, I am the continuing roller coaster that is PLUS500 means I am down in value, but its a healthy divided payer so with those reinvested I am making a small gain.

I will keep topping up when I can, reinvest dividends and won't sell (not sold a single share in 2016, although I had PFL who were taken over so they were cashed out for me), seems to be doing me well so far!

Comment

Anyone who built a portfolio around my attempts to time individual purchases and doing the opposite would do rather well.

I sold GLEN pretty much at the bottom, didn't like the debt (still don't). But it was only a few % of the portfolio, so ho hum.

HSBA and BP my big earners, plus BKG and IAG bought on the post-Brexit dip. Next purchase will be to top up NG.
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      Stock market doing well

Shares bought in Autumn 2015 now up 55%, in pounds of course, in EUR's not bad though 27%
                      It's called the Trump effect.

Enjoy!

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-business-live

Comment

Working...
                      X