• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Half-decent, simple UML type diagram tools?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half-decent, simple UML type diagram tools?

I'm throwing together some diagrams of existing code and finding the software is hindering rather than helping me. I don't have access to a heavy-weight tool like Enterprise Architect and have bad experience with Visio. I thought I was onto a winner with the light-weight Draw.io but it's a bit too limited - you end up having to manually change every line to show the right sort of arrow head if it's a use/extend relationship, etc.

Thinking back, I've never found a tool that doesn't get in my way to some extent... I could draw on a whiteboard faster than use the software in most cases.

Is there anything out there that "just works" and doesn't require an enterprise license? I'm not doing 100% formal diagrams, more throwing together something useful to document my trawling through the code.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Yeah, I was going to suggest draw.io, but I see you've ruled it out already.

( I try to avoid UML wherever possible . Your application sounds totally reasonable but, in general, UML lends more to upfront (over-design) of stuff and I have rarely seen it actually used in a workplace and/or end well. YMMV, of course. )

Comment

Archimate?

Comment

Yeah, I prefer a sort of UML-ish structure. Proper UML is a nightmare unless you're using it to auto-generate skeleton code which can be quite good.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

A previous client of mine used Lucidchart, which was good because it was cross platform and was reasonably user friendly.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Dia ?

Comment

Dia is quite good.
              I like draw.io and self host an instance but its really only good for on the fly stuff.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

I have Enterprise Architect Professional Edition, it’s stand-alone but good.

If you just want to draw pictures rather than build libraries (and there’s no harm in that), then Edraw Max is very good, it has a load of very good templates.

(I’ve both, but I’m a bit of a geek like that.)
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Draw.io
                  miro.com
                  Lucid Charts

Apps
                  Archi
                  Enterprise Architect
                  Visio

Not heard of Edraw Max before so will take a look. Also don't discount a good old fashioned wall and sticky-pads, string and blue-tac if your all on site. I ran a workshop yesterday with an old school wall, first whiteboard session for a long time and much more enjoyable with a group than staring at a screen.

Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Wow all this takes me back 20 years. Anyone remember Rational Rose and UML --> Code and Code --> UML. What a cluster **** that was.

I thought all this kind of crap went away with Agile DevOps. 4 minutes of design time, code and test in the afternoon and all done by the end of the week. No need to document anything, the code speaks for itself.
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                    X