• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Half-decent, simple UML type diagram tools?"

Collapse

• TheDude
    replied
    UML - now there is a phrase I haven't heard since before you were born...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Wow all this takes me back 20 years. Anyone remember Rational Rose and UML --> Code and Code --> UML. What a cluster **** that was.

I thought all this kind of crap went away with Agile DevOps. 4 minutes of design time, code and test in the afternoon and all done by the end of the week. No need to document anything, the code speaks for itself.
    For new stuff absolutely But this is 20-year old code including layers and layers of improvements, fixes, and mysterious "because of Keith" tweaks. It has to work as it does now and nobody really knows what that is in totality.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Of course nothing ever goes wrong once it’s in Prod…

https://twitter.com/devopscats/statu...TqTpCiblQ7xU6Q

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Chuck it over the wall, it's the agile way

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I was just laughing at the thought of undocumented code (I know V was having a laugh ).

It's all lovely until someone is expected to support it in Prod - 'if you build it you support it' goes out of the window when Devs are expected to go on the rota to support their code and VMs.

"I've spent years getting out of Support - you can feck off if you expect me to go back!", say the Devs and their Leads in the DevOps teams...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

By screaming abandon hope all ye who enter here - can you tell I spent all morning trying to find a misplaced parenthesis in a SQL statement.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    No need to document anything, the code speaks for itself.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Wow all this takes me back 20 years. Anyone remember Rational Rose and UML --> Code and Code --> UML. What a cluster **** that was.

I thought all this kind of crap went away with Agile DevOps. 4 minutes of design time, code and test in the afternoon and all done by the end of the week. No need to document anything, the code speaks for itself.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied

Draw.io
    miro.com
    Lucid Charts

Apps
    Archi
    Enterprise Architect
    Visio

Not heard of Edraw Max before so will take a look. Also don't discount a good old fashioned wall and sticky-pads, string and blue-tac if your all on site. I ran a workshop yesterday with an old school wall, first whiteboard session for a long time and much more enjoyable with a group than staring at a screen.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I have Enterprise Architect Professional Edition, it’s stand-alone but good.

If you just want to draw pictures rather than build libraries (and there’s no harm in that), then Edraw Max is very good, it has a load of very good templates.

(I’ve both, but I’m a bit of a geek like that.)

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Dia is quite good.
    I like draw.io and self host an instance but its really only good for on the fly stuff.

Leave a comment:

• mangled
    replied
    Dia ?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    A previous client of mine used Lucidchart, which was good because it was cross platform and was reasonably user friendly.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Yeah, I prefer a sort of UML-ish structure. Proper UML is a nightmare unless you're using it to auto-generate skeleton code which can be quite good.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Archimate?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X