• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Anyone use LibreOffice much? Is it just me or is it shocking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use LibreOffice much? Is it just me or is it shocking?

The only 'Office' stuff I typically need to do on my own PC is write invoices or mock up a quick spreadsheet and I never bothered getting an Office license as Libre is fine.

Yesterday I wanted to throw together a quick letter including photos and bits of text for a surveyor... good Lord is was torturous. Adding photos I could not properly control text flow, sometimes I literally couldn't get the cursor to go after the photo, It was like using Word back in the 90s and this was literally typing a line of text, pasting images from the clipboard.

I can forgive Libre it's clunky interface but I thought the fundamental software was supposed to be pretty decent (the spreadsheet always seems nice). Again if I was editing a Word doc I might understand issues but this was a blank doc with no styles or anything. I bet Wordpad could've done a better job, or google docs!

Was I unlucky or is it actually this terrible?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

PEBUAK?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      PEBUAK?
      No idea what that means. Seems like silly acronyms might be best reserved for the non-professional sections of CUK?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

No idea what that means. Seems like silly acronyms might be best reserved for the non-professional sections of CUK?
        LibreOffice is a dog, but it can be made to work - it just needs a little bit more effort/time than the MS and Apple equivalents.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

LibreOffice is a dog, but it can be made to work - it just needs a little bit more effort/time than the MS and Apple equivalents.
          I used it years back and have always quite liked it but this just seemed ridiculous not to be able to handle such a basic use case. I know it's a really hard thing to do well - Word sucked at it for years - but after this long I just figured it surely would do all the normal things without any issues. The amount of work that's gone into it must be incredible.

I probably should just fork out for Office.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I probably should just fork out for Office.
            MS Action Pack is £350 a year. You get 5 x licenses of O365 E3, and a bunch of server software and Windows licenses.
            Also £75 a month Azure credits.
            No brainer to my mind.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

MS Action Pack is £350 a year. You get 5 x licenses of O365 E3, and a bunch of server software and Windows licenses.
              No brainer to my mind.
              +1 for the Action Pack

I've had it for a good decade, probably longer. You also get Office 2019 plus Project and Visio professional.
              Doing a stroll around Windsor on 11 Sept 2 Oct for Alzheimer's Society. You can chuck me a few quid here if you like: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/lmallen-1

Comment

I’m on Linux so use it and agree it’s a clunky nightmare! I’ve had it corrupt files when working with office files directly, so always convert to their own format then export back if I’m mailing out. If I was on windows I’d probably pay for office tbh.

Comment

I have it installed as a backup but I don't think I have used it in at least over a year.
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

No brainer to my mind.
                    To mine too, £350 a year for Office is lunacy. I had MAPS about 10 years ago (£199 I think?) to get free Visual Studio and I still have the folder with dozens of discs in I never used for products I haven't even heard of in some cases!
                    These days VS is free and my current client will absolutely not allow their stuff on any machine that isn't theirs.

If I got back into developing on my own kit MAPS might make sense but unless I actually want to run my own business servers, I can't see it. A basic home 365 sub would do us... but I probably won't need it for another 3 months

Comment

Working...
                    X