• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

Anyone use LibreOffice much? Is it just me or is it shocking?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #11
    I've used Libre Office for years. It is different from Microsoft (obviously) and does take a bit of getting used to but once you do get used to it, it is surprisingly powerful. You can't directly compare with Microsoft because they are different packages with different ways of doing things. Clearly MO is miles more powerful and smooth and more encompassing and I wouldn't use it in a work environment, but for personal stuff and for the charity that I run, it is perfect.

    Comment


      #12
      Originally posted by kloos View Post
      I've used Libre Office for years. It is different from Microsoft (obviously) and does take a bit of getting used to but once you do get used to it, it is surprisingly powerful. You can't directly compare with Microsoft because they are different packages with different ways of doing things. Clearly MO is miles more powerful and smooth and more encompassing and I wouldn't use it in a work environment, but for personal stuff and for the charity that I run, it is perfect.
      That's what I was expecting - rough edges but solid functionality. But not being able to simply paste images into a document without it all going wrong seems like more than flaky UI.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

      Comment


        #13
        Originally posted by d000hg View Post

        That's what I was expecting - rough edges but solid functionality. But not being able to simply paste images into a document without it all going wrong seems like more than flaky UI.
        Right-click on the picture and select Anchor, Wrap or Align options. It's all there if you dig a little.

        Comment


          #14
          Originally posted by kloos View Post

          Right-click on the picture and select Anchor, Wrap or Align options. It's all there if you dig a little.
          When all I want to do is enter text, paste an image underneath, then enter more text underneath, having to manually mess about with anchoring is not a working product. Adjusting those settings is for when you want to change the default behaviour.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

          Comment


            #15
            Originally posted by d000hg View Post

            To mine too, £350 a year for Office is lunacy.
            So why don't you have the £79 a year sub that allows up to 6 users? or £59 for one user? Crazy cheap!

            Comment


              #16
              Just you. I consult at a company where they have ~10,000 desktop users with only LibreOffice (because the desktop is Ubuntu) and no problems at all. Maybe they learnt how to use it properly....I know I had to, to work out that it was different to MO but does the job required....
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

              Comment


                #17
                Originally posted by Platypus View Post

                So why don't you have the £79 a year sub that allows up to 6 users? or £59 for one user? Crazy cheap!
                Because this is the first time in about 4 years I needed it. For non-work stuff Google docs is normally all I need.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

                Comment


                  #18
                  Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Just you. I consult at a company where they have ~10,000 desktop users with only LibreOffice (because the desktop is Ubuntu) and no problems at all. Maybe they learnt how to use it properly....I know I had to, to work out that it was different to MO but does the job required....
                  You work for a German council I presume?
                  I design idiot proof software. Trouble is, they keep making better idiots.

                  Comment


                    #19
                    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

                    You work for a German council I presume?
                    I thought they paid a fortune to migrate away from MS, then a while later paid a fortune to go MS again as it wasn't working, then recently decided to quit MS a second time?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

                    Comment


                      #20
                      Originally posted by _V_ View Post

                      You work for a German council I presume?
                      Nope, this was at a large successful insurance company but I know what you're talking about and they're going back to opensource:

                      https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-...-source-again/

                      It seems more and more local authorities in Europe are going this direction (sadly in German, might be an English version available):

                      https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-S..._Einrichtungen

                      The UK quite haven't got there yet:

                      https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...t-office-suite
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X