• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone use LibreOffice much? Is it just me or is it shocking?"

Collapse

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    You can buy a "we'll add you to our volume license for £15" Office packages off eBay. Deemed legal by the EU, much as MS didn't like it.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

Nope, this was at a large successful insurance company but I know what you're talking about and they're going back to opensource:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-...-source-again/

It seems more and more local authorities in Europe are going this direction (sadly in German, might be an English version available):

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-S..._Einrichtungen

The UK quite haven't got there yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...t-office-suite
    Great that there is a move to Open Source OS. Makes so much sense for so many reasons.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

You work for a German council I presume?
    Nope, this was at a large successful insurance company but I know what you're talking about and they're going back to opensource:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-...-source-again/

It seems more and more local authorities in Europe are going this direction (sadly in German, might be an English version available):

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-S..._Einrichtungen

The UK quite haven't got there yet:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...t-office-suite

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

I thought they paid a fortune to migrate away from MS, then a while later paid a fortune to go MS again as it wasn't working, then recently decided to quit MS a second time?

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Just you. I consult at a company where they have ~10,000 desktop users with only LibreOffice (because the desktop is Ubuntu) and no problems at all. Maybe they learnt how to use it properly....I know I had to, to work out that it was different to MO but does the job required....

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post

So why don't you have the £79 a year sub that allows up to 6 users? or £59 for one user? Crazy cheap!
    Because this is the first time in about 4 years I needed it. For non-work stuff Google docs is normally all I need.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Just you. I consult at a company where they have ~10,000 desktop users with only LibreOffice (because the desktop is Ubuntu) and no problems at all. Maybe they learnt how to use it properly....I know I had to, to work out that it was different to MO but does the job required....

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

To mine too, £350 a year for Office is lunacy.
    So why don't you have the £79 a year sub that allows up to 6 users? or £59 for one user? Crazy cheap!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by kloos View Post

Right-click on the picture and select Anchor, Wrap or Align options. It's all there if you dig a little.
    When all I want to do is enter text, paste an image underneath, then enter more text underneath, having to manually mess about with anchoring is not a working product. Adjusting those settings is for when you want to change the default behaviour.

Leave a comment:

• kloos
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

That's what I was expecting - rough edges but solid functionality. But not being able to simply paste images into a document without it all going wrong seems like more than flaky UI.
    Right-click on the picture and select Anchor, Wrap or Align options. It's all there if you dig a little.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by kloos View Post
    I've used Libre Office for years. It is different from Microsoft (obviously) and does take a bit of getting used to but once you do get used to it, it is surprisingly powerful. You can't directly compare with Microsoft because they are different packages with different ways of doing things. Clearly MO is miles more powerful and smooth and more encompassing and I wouldn't use it in a work environment, but for personal stuff and for the charity that I run, it is perfect.
    That's what I was expecting - rough edges but solid functionality. But not being able to simply paste images into a document without it all going wrong seems like more than flaky UI.

Leave a comment:

• kloos
    replied
    I've used Libre Office for years. It is different from Microsoft (obviously) and does take a bit of getting used to but once you do get used to it, it is surprisingly powerful. You can't directly compare with Microsoft because they are different packages with different ways of doing things. Clearly MO is miles more powerful and smooth and more encompassing and I wouldn't use it in a work environment, but for personal stuff and for the charity that I run, it is perfect.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

MS Action Pack is £350 a year. You get 5 x licenses of O365 E3, and a bunch of server software and Windows licenses.
    Also £75 a month Azure credits.
    No brainer to my mind.
    To mine too, £350 a year for Office is lunacy. I had MAPS about 10 years ago (£199 I think?) to get free Visual Studio and I still have the folder with dozens of discs in I never used for products I haven't even heard of in some cases!
    These days VS is free and my current client will absolutely not allow their stuff on any machine that isn't theirs.

If I got back into developing on my own kit MAPS might make sense but unless I actually want to run my own business servers, I can't see it. A basic home 365 sub would do us... but I probably won't need it for another 3 months

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    I have it installed as a backup but I don't think I have used it in at least over a year.

Leave a comment:

• gixxer2021
    replied
    I’m on Linux so use it and agree it’s a clunky nightmare! I’ve had it corrupt files when working with office files directly, so always convert to their own format then export back if I’m mailing out. If I was on windows I’d probably pay for office tbh.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X