• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apple laptop screen issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple laptop screen issues

I have a 2018 Macbook Pro which is on it's third screen. The previous two screen started to exhibit patches of orange discolouration and the current screen is starting to go the same way however the effect is still subtle.

Apple have of course washed their hands of the issue.

I have carried laptops to work for over 20 years and never experienced any issues like this. Due to the expense I have treated this machine with the same care I would a donor organ so I believe the issue is a hardware/design flaw.

The damage may be heat/pressure related however I keep the laptop in a padded bag (purchased from Apple) and inside the padded laptop section of a specifically designed rucksack. The machine is shut down at the end of every day rather than being put into sleep mode. It can run a little hot and I allow a minute or two cooling time however Apple offer no guidance on cooling time and in any case I expect a 3 grand laptop to be a bit more robust than this.

Has anyone else seen similar issues? A replacement screen is £500+ and I have no confidence it will permanently resolve the issue given my previous experiences.

I was hoping to get a fair bit of cash back when I sell this (and I know I am a sucker but I do fancy one of the new 16" M1 machines) but if sold with a less than perfect screen I am going to have to take a big hit on price.

Any advice?

TheDude

Where on the screen are you getting the orange patches?
    Has it been the same place for all 3 screens?
    Is it possibly related not to how you carry it, but where it is positioned when in use?
    Have you taken it to Apple for repair, or done it independently?
    Has anyone checked the graphics section of the motherboard and connectors?
    Have you tried plugging it in to an external monitor to see if you get the issue there?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Where on the screen are you getting the orange patches?
      Has it been the same place for all 3 screens?
      Is it possibly related not to how you carry it, but where it is positioned when in use?
      Have you taken it to Apple for repair, or done it independently?
      Has anyone checked the graphics section of the motherboard and connectors?
      Have you tried plugging it in to an external monitor to see if you get the issue there?
      1. Around the edges
      2. Pretty much
      3. No
      4. Apple repairs
      5. Yes
      6. No issue on other monitors

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

1. Around the edges
        2. Pretty much
        3. No
        4. Apple repairs
        5. Yes
        6. No issue on other monitors
        All you can do is take it back to Apple again and see if / what they will do for you..

But it does sound like your best plan is get replacement, repair screen and then sell ASAP...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

All you can do is take it back to Apple again and see if / what they will do for you..

But it does sound like your best plan is get replacement, repair screen and then sell ASAP...
          I have complained long and hard but Apple won't do anything more.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I have complained long and hard but Apple won't do anything more.
            Small claims court or you are stuffed then.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If you want a new one and you kick up a big fuss, Apple might give you better price on the old one than normal?

You could ask on the MacRumors forums too for more advice.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

In my experience Mac is more reliable than others. Probably you are a bit unlucky in this instance. In 2016, I bought an used 2012 Mac Pro on ebay for £220. Removed DVD player, added additional HDD, Upgraded RAM to 16GB (not sure if it can use full 16GB). It is still going very well.

Like d000hg said, make a fuss, who knows they may give you a new one at a much reduced price.

Comment

I had a company Mac from around that time which I used for about 18 months without any issues. However I found this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8569317
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

I replaced mine with a 1:1 match on ebay - not cheap, but cheaper than getting Apple or anyone else to do it and lots of tutorials on YouTube.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                    X