• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New computer - Mac or PC?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    I was thinking about this the other day, I use a Mac for home and typically clients give me a PC. If it's new enough and nicely specced (screen, ram, basic CPU, nothing drastic), I'd happily work on either.

The only thing I would say is that Macs don't run Visio or Project unless you use something like Parallels. That can come up quite a lot and in one situation I was emailed a project plan and expected to feed back on it half an hour later and had to do some very quick installing

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If all the work is remote, build a super powerful desktop. And then play Elite Dangerous on it.
    you don't need anything particualrly powerfull for E.
    Unless going VR, and then it's just the GPU you need.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If all the work is remote, build a super powerful desktop. And then play Elite Dangerous on it.
    I would recommend VR if you go down that route, so get a good graphics card. Hotus makes it much more fun.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Currently, have a new mac mini for iOS dev work and have a Surface book2 for .Net development. I can tell you which one I prefer but I don't think it would help you if all your work is remote. I guess go for a laptop with a good screen, keyboard, battery and sounds like any OS will do you.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    My company has a 27" iMac, which does a great job, but having a PC laptop is useful as well.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I moved from a Mac Pro to a refurbished Dell Latitude 9491.

It cost 2/3rds less and I'm very happy with it (although next time I'll spend a little more and get a better screen).

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Get a laptop with some flavour of linux on it? Frankly, if you're just using it for remote VMs, rather than worry about the OS, focus on price, build quality, upgradeability/future proofing, size, weight, screen, reliability etc.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic New computer - Mac or PC?

New computer - Mac or PC?

A few years ago I got a MacMini2012 because some dev work required a Mac. Gradually it ended up as my main machine, running Windows in Parallels, and my older Winbox got retired.
    Now, the MacMini is getting more and more unreliable and I figure I'm due a replacement (I got it 2014 I think). I quite enjoy MacOS but the new MacMinis are really pricey - and less easily user-servable/upgradeable.

These days I typically do all my dev work on remote VMs so host OS is less important. Clearly I can get a WinBox for a few hundred quid, or even get a decent laptop and use that with external peripherals for comfortably under a grand.

I know it's subjective but just wondered what people reckon?

Working...
X