• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Daily Fail

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Daily Fail"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    +1 Those mobile phone blocker units are very expensive. Something should be done about it.
    20.94 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roughneck-Sl...=sledge+hammer

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Yeah, it costs a bloody fortune to cut off a mobile phone. That's why so many people get away with not paying their bills yet still being able to use them
    +1 Those mobile phone blocker units are very expensive. Something should be done about it.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Why? It will be automatically built into all cars as they are built so would cost money and effort to remove / disable it...
    Yeah, it costs a bloody fortune to cut off a mobile phone. That's why so many people get away with not paying their bills yet still being able to use them

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Also, I wonder how heavy the things are - Even if they're fairly light, that extra weight in hundreds of millions of cars throughout the EU will burn millions of tons more fuel.

So much for the EU's green agenda

edit: The scheme is obviously a stalking horse for a mileage tax - If in doubt, follow the money
    If it also detects people speeding (??) the weight is nothing compared to the savings in fuel.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Why? It will be automatically built into all cars as they are built so would cost money and effort to remove / disable it...
    Eh? All I was pointing out was that it wasn't law yet. I already have it in my car and my new one that I've ordered has it as well...

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I'm taking it that you didn't read the first paragraph, just in case I've highlighted a couple of salient facts for you:

So its not signed off yet. There could be opposition, I mean if the Ukip are interested in keeping EU laws out of Britain surely they could turn up to vote against it?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I'm taking it that you didn't read the first paragraph, just in case I've highlighted a couple of salient facts for you:

The European Union's plan to insist every new car on the road by 2015 includes a mobile device that phones home after a crash is set to become reality, after the European Commission signed off draft legislation to enact the scheme. Assent from the European Parliament and Council of the European Union is now required, but little opposition is expected.
    So its not signed off yet. There could be opposition, I mean if the Ukip are interested in keeping EU laws out of Britain surely they could turn up to vote against it?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I do some work for a company that's trialing tracking devices. The idea is you get one fitted and it allows your insurance company to monitor how you drive in return for a lower premium. So the technology is coming via the private sector anyway.
    That technology has been used on a commercial basis for over 10 years. The only difference is its got an awful lot cheaper...

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I do some work for a company that's trialing tracking devices. The idea is you get one fitted and it allows your insurance company to monitor how you drive in return for a lower premium. So the technology is coming via the private sector anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    So there are still some people who believe the horsetulip the Mail pumps out, are there? Jolly good, jolly good
    EU signs off on eCall emergency-phone-in-every-car plan

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    So there are still some people who believe the horsetulip the Mail pumps out, are there? Jolly good, jolly good

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Goodness you people are paranoid.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    the road to hell is paved with good intentions
    The only quote I can think of that is almost always true.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Chris Rea getting it wrong too doesn't make it right.
    The misquote was intentional, I was trying to be funny about tax per mile enabled by eCall paying for roads, obviously I failed.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Not really. The saying is "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". You probably misheard.
    Last edited by doodab; 11 May 2014, 16:09.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X