• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Make Britain Great Again"

Collapse

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Less so for your credibility

Reform underperformed in many ways. Votes only marginally up on UKIP. As predicted, a handful of seats. On the upside, their main effect was to smash the Tories.

For Labour, that has to be the most unconvincing landslide ever, only 35% of the vote. However, the Tories have a needle to thread with Reform on the right and electoral success in the centre. Labour could easily get a similar result next time.

Hold on to your hats, I predict the next four years will be dire, although perhaps more professionally dire than the Tories.

Yeah the Exit polls got my hopes up.

Was able to exit my bet on BetFair at break even quite easily, the odds moved quite slowly from my favour to break even then negative over several hours.

Labour: 9,660,081
    Tories: 6,755,953
    Reform: 4,072,947

It wasn't the worst night for Reform.

Labour got a massive seat majority but Starmer got less votes than Corbyn did in 2019.

The Tories lost almost 8 million votes.

Im not sure how many of those 4million Reform votes would have voted Tory, as personally, i would have just stayed at home myself had Farage not entered the fray.

Reform needs to target marginal seats where they came second, it could see them winning 50+ seats next time.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; Today, 11:03.

Leave a comment:

• woody1
    replied
    Labour could easily get a similar result next time.
    Especially if the Tories do a kneejerk to the right. They might capture some of those who voted Reform but they'd probably lose as much, if not more, support from the centre ground, where elections are normally won or lost in this country.

It will be inneresting to see who they choose as leader. If history is anything to go by, probably a no-hoper.
    Last edited by woody1; Today, 10:20.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

Reform underperformed in many ways. Votes only marginally up on UKIP. As predicted, a handful of seats. On the upside, their main effect was to smash the Tories.

For Labour, that has to be the most unconvincing landslide ever, only 35% of the vote. However, the Tories have a needle to thread with Reform on the right and electoral success in the centre. Labour could easily get a similar result next time.

Hold on to your hats, I predict the next four years will be dire, although perhaps more professionally dire than the Tories.
    Totally agree. I think Starmer has about a year or so before his lot are as popular as the Tories are now. That year will be OK-ish on the back of the economic progress that they inherited, but they will no doubt claim responsibility for it.

Reform PLC got exactly what they deserved and will have absolutely zero influence on anything.

Sadly, even on the highly optimistic assumption that the Tories can start playing as one party again, they are going to struggle to make an impact in opposition.

What killed me was Wales, where they have managed to elect Labour in vast numbers despite the horrific damage they have already done to the Principality!
    Last edited by malvolio; Today, 10:18.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Looking good for my bet

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by agentzero View Post
    I don't understand why people voted for ReformUK. Was it a protest vote against the Tories' implementation of brexit and mis handling of the economy?
    You've completely and utterly missed the point. I'm pretty amazed how badly you've missed it and how TBH. It's summed up in one sentence on their page and it's all over the news 'Only Reform will stand up for British culture, identity and values.' It's mainly the brexit lot voting with immigration as the only thing on their mind.
    How on earth can you appear so utterly clueless one day after the actual vote? Where on earth have you been hiding for the last 6 weeks?
    A mix of centre right and right wing politics didn't work and has lead to a public health disaster, particularly during and after the pandemic. Cutting healthcare and public services to the bone made us unprepared for the pandemic. Austerity is considered to be a failure of government. Other European countries didn't do it to any degree except Greece, who were in a much worse state than us.
    Again, I'm pretty staggered. Not one mention of (probably) the real reason even through it's been reported ad nauseam for the last few weeks. I'm not a Reform voter standing on my soap box here, just amazed at how badly you've got this wrong. A staunch supporter of whatever party could point out how badly you've missed it here.
    Why would voting for ReformUK be useful? They want more even more austerity and more of the same but to the extreme. It would destroy the country. A rich populist banker saying anything and everything knowing he will never have to deliver any of it might seem appealing, but if you think rationally it would be an awful choice for the UK. A vote for ReformUK is a vote to substitute punching yourself in the face to drinking bleach instead.
    Arguably true but not sure how you've come to this conclusion without having a clue. The thought of them winning is horrific I'll agree but they are floating along on a single agenda that the populace is getting more and more angry about and it's just getting worse to the point that even the left have to admit is unsustainable.
    Look at Europe and it's jolt to the right. It's not just some angry red faced out of towner, it's the whole continent.

Just as well most of the country aren't thick enough to have went down that route.
    Do I need to point out the irony of the garbage?
    Last edited by northernladuk; Today, 09:58.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You sure?
    two out of three ain't bad

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Looking good for my bet
    You sure?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Will he turn up on Newsnight to be taken apart by "Vic" Derbyshire?

How about Good Morning Britain with Ed Balls?

Or LBC with Nick Ferrari?

I guess we will only see him on GBeebies.
    KUATB

https://www.globalplayer.com/videos/2JsSb7kXwtg/

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If you think AI is the answer - then probably Artificial Stupidity will suffice.
    What I have proposed does not depend on AI. Possibly you could use it for voice recognition but "please use the keypad to enter your account number" and a multi level auto attendant has been working successfully for 35 years.

AI could however easily identify complex changes and is already a reality - maybe you are doing it wrong?

https://www.siemens.com/global/en/co...-republic.html

https://www.ceh.ac.uk/press/ai-enabl...g-biodiversity

https://www.leicestershospitals.nhs....e%20CT%20scans.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

The "real" problem is organisations trying to "do things on the cheap"! You get what you pay for.
    The real problem is organisations doing things badly. Technology gives you massive opportunities to save costs and improve service. Those companies that won't use it to do that will wither.

Amazon provides a superb service at minimal cost. I remembered how much better they are when I placed an order for an obscure part and was offered a week's delivery, no portal, no phone number etc.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

No if 80% of customer requests are normally predictable, a Bot that asks for your details in a clear accent and supplies the answer in a clear English accent is a winner compared to someone who introduces themselves as Shaun in a deep comedy Indian accent.

If I can do it via a decent Portal such as Amazon's then why do I need Vinjay Patel pretending to be Shaun repeating themselves for 30 mins?

The transaction will still happen but the customer will be happier.
    The "real" problem is organisations trying to "do things on the cheap"! You get what you pay for.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Looks like the National Farage, sorry, the Nigel Front, could get double digit seats. That would mean they might have to turn up and debate things rather than rely on TV interviews.
    Can’t see that happening, it’s not in his nature.
    Will he turn up on Newsnight to be taken apart by "Vic" Derbyshire?

How about Good Morning Britain with Ed Balls?

Or LBC with Nick Ferrari?

I guess we will only see him on GBeebies.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Looks like the National Farage, sorry, the Nigel Front, could get double digit seats. That would mean they might have to turn up and debate things rather than rely on TV interviews.
    Can’t see that happening, it’s not in his nature.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    A prime example of a Farage enthusiast:

Reform voter demands 'why isn't Farage on South Wales ballot'

https://www.thenational.scot/news/na...-wales-ballot/

You really couldn't make this tulip up.

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied
    I don't understand why people voted for ReformUK. Was it a protest vote against the Tories' implementation of brexit and mis handling of the economy?

A mix of centre right and right wing politics didn't work and has lead to a public health disaster, particularly during and after the pandemic. Cutting healthcare and public services to the bone made us unprepared for the pandemic. Austerity is considered to be a failure of government. Other European countries didn't do it to any degree except Greece, who were in a much worse state than us.

Why would voting for ReformUK be useful? They want more even more austerity and more of the same but to the extreme. It would destroy the country. A rich populist banker saying anything and everything knowing he will never have to deliver any of it might seem appealing, but if you think rationally it would be an awful choice for the UK. A vote for ReformUK is a vote to substitute punching yourself in the face to drinking bleach instead.

Just as well most of the country aren't thick enough to have went down that route.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X