• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ken Bruce leaving BBC in 2024"

Collapse

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

That really is an oxymoron.
    Thanks for your valuable input, grandpa

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

And that really is an ignorant statement. You have to sift carefully but Snuts, Girl in Red, Rachel Chinouriri, Mammoth WVH are just a few names I can think of from different genres... or since you mention Foo Fighters then of course we have Biffy, Bring me the Horizon who are established modern bands rock bands. Rock is making something of a resurgence. I don't know if you dislike rap or only modern autotune (c)rap but there's loads of interesting rap artists around too - though I find someone rapping in a Brummie accent still a little amusing. And more mainstream, Sam Fender is a bout the biggest artist in the UK with a traditional rock and roll 4-piece.

If you judge modern music by what's on R1 daytime you are missing lots of stuff.
    Rap is not interesting. It's too simplistic unless you can decipher the language they are using which I am far too old, or perhaps far too disinterested to do. Sorry but monotonous mumbling into a close mic with a backing compiled by a teenager in his bedroom doesn't do it for me in the slightest.

I hear modern rock, which is not all bad but pretty derivative being based on a musical form that is nearly 70 years old now. (Then again Oasis caused a storm in their day by repeating most of what the Beatles had done musically in the 60s). Snuts aren't too shabby for instance, but their lead singer is pretty average.

Obviously we all have differing tastes, and mine is pretty catholic; I just like good music that says something. That doesn't make me right and you wrong, we all have to start somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

And that really is an ignorant statement. You have to sift carefully but Snuts, Girl in Red, Rachel Chinouriri, Mammoth WVH are just a few names I can think of from different genres... or since you mention Foo Fighters then of course we have Biffy, Bring me the Horizon who are established modern bands rock bands. Rock is making something of a resurgence. I don't know if you dislike rap or only modern autotune (c)rap but there's loads of interesting rap artists around too - though I find someone rapping in a Brummie accent still a little amusing. And more mainstream, Sam Fender is a bout the biggest artist in the UK with a traditional rock and roll 4-piece.

If you judge modern music by what's on R1 daytime you are missing lots of stuff.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    If you want to hear DJs who know something about something, switch to C4 or LBC or something.

I listen to R1 evening shows on catch-up a fair bit for interesting new music.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you want to hear DJs who know something about something, switch to C4 or LBC or something.

I listen to R1 evening shows on catch-up a fair bit for interesting new music.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Boring is good when you set it against the childishly ignorant prattling of most of his rivals on Radio 2..
    Quite agree. Think I prefer to listen to the ads on other channels.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    i got rid of a deck three months ago, to local charity.
    All my sh1t's digital now.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

what? no AC/DC or Zappa??
    Oh yes. The quoted range was inclusive.

Only real problem is a lot of good stuff is on vinyl but I no longer have a deck! I keep dropping hints....

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied

Don't give a stuff about their race or religion and never have. What I hate is lazy modern music, either bubble gum, tediously boring rap or, all too often, some mashup of both. That's all R1 plays and increasingly all R2 does.

Yes, I know I'm old. My music collection starts with Monteverdi and ends (currently) with the Foo Fighters, so while I may have crap taste I do have a basis for comparison!
    what? no AC/DC or Zappa??

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    I don't see that being a problem. Black DJs need to go somewhere after they stop being relevant on R1/1Xtra as well... maybe there should be a 2Xtra Though truth be told I'm not sure the race of some DJs I listen to unless I see a photo or they mention it frequently.
    Don't give a stuff about their race or religion and never have. What I hate is lazy modern music, either bubble gum, tediously boring rap or, all too often, some mashup of both. That's all R1 plays and increasingly all R2 does.

Yes, I know I'm old. My music collection starts with Monteverdi and ends (currently) with the Foo Fighters, so while I may have crap taste I do have a basis for comparison!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    I'm betting on a BAME DJ replacement, as that's what's missing from the daytime Diversity Portfolio.
    I don't see that being a problem. Black DJs need to go somewhere after they stop being relevant on R1/1Xtra as well... maybe there should be a 2Xtra Though truth be told I'm not sure the race of some DJs I listen to unless I see a photo or they mention it frequently.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Who?

Glad I've only spent about a year living in the sticks where you could only get BBC Radio before DAB and internet radio existed.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    I'm betting on a BAME DJ replacement, as that's what's missing from the daytime Diversity Portfolio. There's only Sarah Sucks worth listening to now. Although I do listen if Garry Davies is filling in as I'm still 'young, free & single', well I have the t-shirt somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post

Nope he's leaving at the end of March - and seems to own Popmaster so that quiz goes with him.
    Do you mean I’m One Year Out?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    …and for this headline I get a Popmaster T-shirt
    Nope he's leaving at the end of March - and seems to own Popmaster so that quiz goes with him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X