• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Time to move country thread"

Collapse

• willendure
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post

I like the algarve. whats it like in the winter ?
    Can't be worse than the UK can it? More daylight hours too.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by saptastic View Post

Today - overcast and rainy but still around 20C
    Last week - bright, sunny, hot, high 20s

I'm still sitting in shorts & T shirt and dipping in the pool regularly (TMI possibly)

No idea about the real winter months of Dec-Feb though, this is the first time I've been here outside June-Aug period.

Leave a comment:

• saptastic
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Portugal. Civilised, warm & sunny (down South at least), good infrastructure. Close enough to get back to the UK very easily. I'm here on a working holiday at the moment, I don't miss the UK one bit.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

you have to use long words occasionally!
    Very occasionally .... although I'm not sure fandabiedozie is as respected a long word as it should be!

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by GitMaster69 View Post
    Name your best pick and why
    Portugal. Civilised, warm & sunny (down South at least), good infrastructure. Close enough to get back to the UK very easily. I'm here on a working holiday at the moment, I don't miss the UK one bit.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

My gf asked me what I do in my job to get a 6 figure salary, as all she can see is me sitting on my @rse all day talking crap in TEAMs meetings .... yeah, that's about it
    you have to use long words occasionally!

Leave a comment:

• Matt FR
    replied
    France or NL for me - both fantastic, for different reasons. High tax & social contributions, but worth it all-round, I reckon.

Leave a comment:

• mogga71
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Switzerland has a lot going for it - it's flag is a big plus.
    Yip ... Zurich gets my vote. Class place.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

not warty the permanently surprised
    My gf asked me what I do in my job to get a 6 figure salary, as all she can see is me sitting on my @rse all day talking crap in TEAMs meetings .... yeah, that's about it

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Fun fact. Iodine tablets only work in protecting you against radioactive iodine - not radiation in general. Nuclear explosions, unlike power plant leaks, don't produce much radioactive iodine.
    Correct

For general radiation reduction one must use RadAway ideally with Rad Absorption perk

HTH

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    And highly skilled
    Speak for yourself, I'm in the lower half of moderately skilled.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    And highly skilled
    not warty the permanently surprised

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Fun fact. Iodine tablets only work in protecting you against radioactive iodine - not radiation in general. Nuclear explosions, unlike power plant leaks, don't produce much radioactive iodine.
    Oddly enough I knew that.

Now, may I innerest you in some Cobalt Thorium G?

Looking on the bright side, being the age I am I've got a fair amount of Strontium 90 in my bones from all those nice atmospheric tests back in the day

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

But..... we're British!
    And highly skilled

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ensignia View Post
    I'm guessing this has something to do with the forthcoming tax hikes and how it's legalised theft, so why not move to the UAE or one of the miserable islands off Great Britain and be done with it?
    Legalised theft is by definition a contradiction. But yes you run off you the Arabian paradise.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X