• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Energy crisis solved"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

do they include the price of the hot tub?
    Depending on the "reporter" they will tell you were to get one.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Nah that's a Metro story.
    do they include the price of the hot tub?

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

No they weren't subsidised, the shareholders bailed them out. But if the government wants to tax them they won't get very far because the vast majority of their business is overseas. They'll simply wind down their UK operations to a minimum and invest elsewhere.
    I don't know which smiley to use for sarcasm, sorry I couldn't make it more obvious...

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    IIRC some of the conversion factors vary slightly between providers too though it was 5 years ago I set up my home spreadsheet so I am not certain.
    It's the calorific value that can vary - and not just between providers, but by the same provider over time. It varies by area too.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

thanks I wish that had been available a few years ago I might have saved money.
    I've used them before, bit of a hidden treasure. I've since seen several recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Had to light the fire the first time this week - forecast here is not far off freezing for the end of the week.
    I still need to do a bulk order from https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/ - just line every wall with nice silver Kingspan. It'll stop the brain rays too.
    thanks I wish that had been available a few years ago I might have saved money.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Had to light the fire the first time this week - forecast here is not far off freezing for the end of the week.
    I still need to do a bulk order from https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/ - just line every wall with nice silver Kingspan. It'll stop the brain rays too.

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    I'm waiting for something on the daily mail in a few months along these lines "i bought my wife a hot tub for christmas. I thought the cap was 2500 but now I'm ruined"
    If the cap means you are subsidising 50% of all your neighbours’ bills, and they in turn are subsidising 50% of yours, then the only way to win is to use more energy than they do. Time to buy that hot tub.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Living in fairly remote village I have oil not gas. If my tank runs low this year I'll just use a hose pipe to nick some from my neighbours' tanks.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Going by other forums the media aren't wrong.

Many people don't realise that utility suppliers put on every bill the formulae for the cost of your gas and electricity. Even then people still can't calculate it.

I last had to calculate mine because my energy supplier overcharged me when my estimated usage was far higher than my actual usage. I told them the correct figure and they rounded it down by a penny.
    Most people pay for two energy sources and each has both unit and daily rates. A standardised way to refer to "energy prices" is rather useful.
    A lot of people don't even know what a formula is and have never used one in anger beyond perhaps cookery or building "X parts cement to Y parts sand" and so on.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I'm waiting for something on the daily mail in a few months along these lines "i bought my wife a hot tub for christmas and put it in the back garden of our £260,000 house. I thought the cap was 2500 but now I'm ruined"
    Fixed.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I'm waiting for something on the daily mail in a few months along these lines "i bought my wife a hot tub for christmas. I thought the cap was 2500 but now I'm ruined"
    Nah that's a Metro story.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

That is exactly what it is (though typically per kWh not mWh), but the media seem to think the general population are too stupid to understand that, so just state the headline £ figure as a price cap, sometimes adding a footnote about typical usage.
    Going by other forums the media aren't wrong.

Many people don't realise that utility suppliers put on every bill the formulae for the cost of your gas and electricity. Even then people still can't calculate it.

I last had to calculate mine because my energy supplier overcharged me when my estimated usage was far higher than my actual usage. I told them the correct figure and they rounded it down by a penny.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

But why not just say we will cap price per mWh at ###, then you can check your last bill, check how much you've used and calculate how much you are going to pay. Much easier than comparing your own usage to some "typical household" figures, regardless how readily available they are.
    Yes it's very trivial.
    To work out your usage in kWh:
    Take a meter reading.
    Subtract the new meter reading from the previous reading to work out the volume of gas used.
    Multiply by the volume correction factor (1.02264).
    Multiply by calorific value (40.0).
    Divide by kWh conversion factor (3.6).

To work out your cost:
    Count the number of days between readings.
    A)Multiply by the standing daily charge from your tariff.
    B)Take the kWh usage above and multiply by your kWh tariff figure.
    Add A+B.

And then do this over a year to get your annual costs for comparison, factoring in if it was a bad winter or not, etc.
    IIRC some of the conversion factors vary slightly between providers too though it was 5 years ago I set up my home spreadsheet so I am not certain.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X