• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Energy crisis solved

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

That is exactly what it is (though typically per kWh not mWh), but the media seem to think the general population are too stupid to understand that, so just state the headline £ figure as a price cap, sometimes adding a footnote about typical usage.
    Going by other forums the media aren't wrong.

Many people don't realise that utility suppliers put on every bill the formulae for the cost of your gas and electricity. Even then people still can't calculate it.

I last had to calculate mine because my energy supplier overcharged me when my estimated usage was far higher than my actual usage. I told them the correct figure and they rounded it down by a penny.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm waiting for something on the daily mail in a few months along these lines "i bought my wife a hot tub for christmas. I thought the cap was 2500 but now I'm ruined"

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
        I'm waiting for something on the daily mail in a few months along these lines "i bought my wife a hot tub for christmas. I thought the cap was 2500 but now I'm ruined"
        Nah that's a Metro story.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm waiting for something on the daily mail in a few months along these lines "i bought my wife a hot tub for christmas and put it in the back garden of our £260,000 house. I thought the cap was 2500 but now I'm ruined"
          Fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Going by other forums the media aren't wrong.

Many people don't realise that utility suppliers put on every bill the formulae for the cost of your gas and electricity. Even then people still can't calculate it.

I last had to calculate mine because my energy supplier overcharged me when my estimated usage was far higher than my actual usage. I told them the correct figure and they rounded it down by a penny.
            Most people pay for two energy sources and each has both unit and daily rates. A standardised way to refer to "energy prices" is rather useful.
            A lot of people don't even know what a formula is and have never used one in anger beyond perhaps cookery or building "X parts cement to Y parts sand" and so on.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Living in fairly remote village I have oil not gas. If my tank runs low this year I'll just use a hose pipe to nick some from my neighbours' tanks.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

If the cap means you are subsidising 50% of all your neighbours’ bills, and they in turn are subsidising 50% of yours, then the only way to win is to use more energy than they do. Time to buy that hot tub.

Comment

Had to light the fire the first time this week - forecast here is not far off freezing for the end of the week.
                  I still need to do a bulk order from https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/ - just line every wall with nice silver Kingspan. It'll stop the brain rays too.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    Had to light the fire the first time this week - forecast here is not far off freezing for the end of the week.
                    I still need to do a bulk order from https://www.secondsandco.co.uk/ - just line every wall with nice silver Kingspan. It'll stop the brain rays too.
                    thanks I wish that had been available a few years ago I might have saved money.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

thanks I wish that had been available a few years ago I might have saved money.
                      I've used them before, bit of a hidden treasure. I've since seen several recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                      X