• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How are the plebs watching movies?"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post

It's worse than that Jim. DBs 'novel' was a cheap plagiarised version of Umberto Echo's Foucalts Pendulum. Which had the original shock horror revelation regarding the messiah. It's also far better written with a great deal of historical fact thrown in for good measure. I think Tom Hanks bought the rights to the wrong book.
    Thank feck for that, I remember my eyes bleeding with the tedium of reading Eco's "Name of the fecking Rose".

Pretentious twaddle.

Leave a comment:

• GigiBronz
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

same with Amazon.
    They have lists of the IPs that the VPN providers use. Same with Azure AD as VPN/anonymous IPs are high risk.
    Tor browser might work if you get lucky and get an exit node not on their list.

I have a VPN service I use with my pirate TV firestick and even that isn't great. But my company pays for it for testing security policies
    You can make your own vpn on aws or another cloud provider.

the comercial vpn are worthless and probably collect more data on you than they should. And you get the privilege to pay for it of course.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I've always struggled getting it to work. It either knows you're on a VPN or doesn't actually seamlessly switch region to match your VPN. Last time we actually went abroad, Netflix kept us on UK as an automatic "holiday mode" though that may have changed.
    same with Amazon.
    They have lists of the IPs that the VPN providers use. Same with Azure AD as VPN/anonymous IPs are high risk.
    Tor browser might work if you get lucky and get an exit node not on their list.

I have a VPN service I use with my pirate TV firestick and even that isn't great. But my company pays for it for testing security policies

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Is it worth getting a VPN for Netflix?

I've lost count of how many times I've re-watched Parks and Rec, The Good Place, need some fun, quality casual stuff to watch.
    I've always struggled getting it to work. It either knows you're on a VPN or doesn't actually seamlessly switch region to match your VPN. Last time we actually went abroad, Netflix kept us on UK as an automatic "holiday mode" though that may have changed.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Is it worth getting a VPN for Netflix?

I've lost count of how many times I've re-watched Parks and Rec, The Good Place, need some fun, quality casual stuff to watch.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    That's because it's a load of crap. I have no idea why so much fuss is made over Dan Brown.
    It's worse than that Jim. DBs 'novel' was a cheap plagiarised version of Umberto Echo's Foucalts Pendulum. Which had the original shock horror revelation regarding the messiah. It's also far better written with a great deal of historical fact thrown in for good measure. I think Tom Hanks bought the rights to the wrong book.

Leave a comment:

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The only problem was there were at least 10 copies of Dan Brown's, The Da Vinci Code:.
    There was a similar problem with "50 Shades of Gray" - one charity shop got enough copies to build a fort! They were begging people not to donate any more copies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50shades.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	4204624

I think that applies to any book which is:
    a) Very popular
    b) Only read once

The problem is that anyone who wanted a copy has already read it, so there's no demand for second hand copies.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I have Amazon Prime because I'm too lazy to cancel it but have never really used it for the TV/Film offering.

I have a micro PC attached to my TV and use the BBC iPlayer desktop app regularly as that's the only one which auto downloads new episodes. I then use All4, Channel 5 and other free web based players for most viewing. As those don't offer a series link like BBC do, I end up binge watching every few weeks when I remember to catch up.

I like going to the cinema so will happily pay out for that every couple of months. I have a Curzon membership which gives me 5 free tickets a year plus discounted tickets the rest of the time.

Everything else is torrented.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

I use to have a local train station that had a waiting room which was a book exchange. The local library was being rebuilt so they dumped old stock there and then commuters would exchange books.

The only problem was there were at least 10 copies of Dan Brown's, The Da Vinci Code:.
    That's because it's a load of crap. I have no idea why so much fuss is made over Dan Brown.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You can also use charity shops as DVD rentals.

Go in there, pay £1-2 for a DVD, watch it, take it back to them with their price still on it. You get to watch a film and donate to a charity, and they get it back to sell again
    £2 for a 2nd hand dvd? Are you made of money? Around here they're available for 25p and 33p each, though I did notice how expensive they were in that Cardiff the other year.

Cardiff Oxfam wanted £7 for "The Medusa Touch (1978)". It stayed where it was.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I'm pretty sure that eventually the streaming companies will licence their old content to other streamers.
    Presumably you mean the 'netflix originals' and such? I got the impression this already happened - it is annoyingly fragmented along the American TV model which isn't really something Brits were used to. Some sort of cross-service pass would be great.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I'm pretty sure that eventually the streaming companies will licence their old content to other streamers.
    IMDB.tv seems to be built on that precise model. older content, provided for free, with adverts.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I've seen some places repurpose old phone boxes as miniature community libraries. It used to be the convention when we visited California you put used free items on your kerb (maybe it is in other places). In rough areas people would just nick everything of course, or use your community phone library for dodgy stuff.
    I use to have a local train station that had a waiting room which was a book exchange. The local library was being rebuilt so they dumped old stock there and then commuters would exchange books.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

If you read random stuff in my area if you walk pass some's house at the right time not only can you find furniture with a sign "please take" but books, DVDs, children's clothes, games and toys. In some cases the item hasn't been used.
    I've seen some places repurpose old phone boxes as miniature community libraries. It used to be the convention when we visited California you put used free items on your kerb (maybe it is in other places). In rough areas people would just nick everything of course, or use your community phone library for dodgy stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X