• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone any experience with night vision optics?"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Yanks are buying them ready for the Trumpist uprising.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Hurry up to buy it because the demand (and prices) for NV will go through the roof any time...
    Why is that? The increasing crime rate or the current Russia "situation"

Or are you hinting that we soon won't have any eleccy?!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Hurry up to buy it because the demand (and prices) for NV will go through the roof any time...

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

If one can spy on one's neighbours, then one is either using a radio telescope or one's acreage is inadequate.
    Originally posted by ravenshaw View Post

Or one owns a night vision drone.
    Or one has the covert resources of a small country at their disposal.

Leave a comment:

• David71
    replied
    I've got no experience with night vision but I get my regular scopes from this company and they've always been happy to spend some time on the phone discussing requirements / budgets etc.

OPW | Nightvision & Thermal | www.OpticsWarehouse.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    What rifle are you going to attach it to?

https://www.cheshiregunroom.com/puls...ion-riflescope
    According to this it'll cope with "heavy recoil".

http://shop.drewslab.co.uk/night-vis...105206867.html

What's the eye relief on these things?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Watching one of those "Pro Vs cheapest Amazon" videos on NV the cheap self-illuminating kits with a little IR lamp was actually pretty good, I know I was impressed. Whether you need monocular or binocular is a question too?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    There are two basic types of infra red (IR) night vision systems: Active, where the kit illuminates the scene, as if shining an IR torch, and Passive where it relies solely on IR radiation transmitted from the scene being viewed.

Passive is better for many purposes, especially where stealth is required, because if someone else has IR night vision then obviously they can see and locate the source of a nearby active IR kit as if it was flashing a torch light in the dark. But high-resolution passive systems tend to be much more expensive (or were - not sure if that is still true).

Last year I planned to buy a simple (low-resolution) passive IR chip device for my Raspberry Pi. But the chips were in acutely short supply, presumably because the stock was all being bagged for Covid-detecting hand-held IR thermometers. But the supply problems may now have eased (not sure).
    Active IR, not thermal.
    It's to supplement the trail camera and Arlos. So that I can follow the various creatures when they trigger a camera.
    We know that there are foxes, badgers, polecats, feral cats, rabbits and muntjac, would be interesting to see what else and to follow them.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    The WifeTM doesn’t have the same budget as I might.
    Then I would ask her for socks and buy it yourself.

(I hope Mr C doesn’t read this… If you are Dear, it’s a joke!)

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Ah - hunting night cyclists. I see.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    What rifle are you going to attach it to?

https://www.cheshiregunroom.com/puls...ion-riflescope

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    There are two basic types of infra red (IR) night vision systems: Active, where the kit illuminates the scene, as if shining an IR torch, and Passive where it relies solely on IR radiation transmitted from the scene being viewed.

Passive is better for many purposes, especially where stealth is required, because if someone else has IR night vision then obviously they can see and locate the source of a nearby active IR kit as if it was flashing a torch light in the dark. But high-resolution passive systems tend to be much more expensive (or were - not sure if that is still true).

Last year I planned to buy a simple (low-resolution) passive IR chip device for my Raspberry Pi. But the chips were in acutely short supply, presumably because the stock was all being bagged for Covid-detecting hand-held IR thermometers. But the supply problems may now have eased (not sure).

Leave a comment:

• ravenshaw
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

If one can spy on one's neighbours, then one is either using a radio telescope or one's acreage is inadequate.
    Or one owns a night vision drone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drone-1024x684.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	4201282

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

He can't watch the neighbours shagging on a hot day or in the pool with one of them. erm.. apparently.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Given my association with a certain company, I remember looking at the ME-20 and ML-105, but this is more for watching wildlife down the garden.
    Needs a range of about 200metres, self illuminating.
    The WifeTM doesn’t have the same budget as I might.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X