• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone any experience with night vision optics?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are two basic types of infra red (IR) night vision systems: Active, where the kit illuminates the scene, as if shining an IR torch, and Passive where it relies solely on IR radiation transmitted from the scene being viewed.

Passive is better for many purposes, especially where stealth is required, because if someone else has IR night vision then obviously they can see and locate the source of a nearby active IR kit as if it was flashing a torch light in the dark. But high-resolution passive systems tend to be much more expensive (or were - not sure if that is still true).

Last year I planned to buy a simple (low-resolution) passive IR chip device for my Raspberry Pi. But the chips were in acutely short supply, presumably because the stock was all being bagged for Covid-detecting hand-held IR thermometers. But the supply problems may now have eased (not sure).
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

What rifle are you going to attach it to?

https://www.cheshiregunroom.com/puls...ion-riflescope
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Ah - hunting night cyclists. I see.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          The WifeTM doesn’t have the same budget as I might.
          Then I would ask her for socks and buy it yourself.

(I hope Mr C doesn’t read this… If you are Dear, it’s a joke!)
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            There are two basic types of infra red (IR) night vision systems: Active, where the kit illuminates the scene, as if shining an IR torch, and Passive where it relies solely on IR radiation transmitted from the scene being viewed.

Passive is better for many purposes, especially where stealth is required, because if someone else has IR night vision then obviously they can see and locate the source of a nearby active IR kit as if it was flashing a torch light in the dark. But high-resolution passive systems tend to be much more expensive (or were - not sure if that is still true).

Last year I planned to buy a simple (low-resolution) passive IR chip device for my Raspberry Pi. But the chips were in acutely short supply, presumably because the stock was all being bagged for Covid-detecting hand-held IR thermometers. But the supply problems may now have eased (not sure).
            Active IR, not thermal.
            It's to supplement the trail camera and Arlos. So that I can follow the various creatures when they trigger a camera.
            We know that there are foxes, badgers, polecats, feral cats, rabbits and muntjac, would be interesting to see what else and to follow them.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Watching one of those "Pro Vs cheapest Amazon" videos on NV the cheap self-illuminating kits with a little IR lamp was actually pretty good, I know I was impressed. Whether you need monocular or binocular is a question too?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                What rifle are you going to attach it to?

https://www.cheshiregunroom.com/puls...ion-riflescope
                According to this it'll cope with "heavy recoil".

http://shop.drewslab.co.uk/night-vis...105206867.html

What's the eye relief on these things?
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I've got no experience with night vision but I get my regular scopes from this company and they've always been happy to spend some time on the phone discussing requirements / budgets etc.

OPW | Nightvision & Thermal | www.OpticsWarehouse.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

If one can spy on one's neighbours, then one is either using a radio telescope or one's acreage is inadequate.
                    Originally posted by ravenshaw View Post

Or one owns a night vision drone.
                    Or one has the covert resources of a small country at their disposal.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Hurry up to buy it because the demand (and prices) for NV will go through the roof any time...

Comment

Working...
                      X