• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Coding for fun

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Coding for fun"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Nah, I'd rather go looking for balls in wooded areas, erm, I mean play golf.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    My IT limit is tinkering with Excel spreadsheets.

I love a nice Excel spreadsheet, me…
    I wouldn't have a career if it wasn't for Excel

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
    Probably not for 20 years or so. After spending all day in front of a computer screen it just isn't appealing to do the same in my spare time.

Occasionally I think I ought to do something myself but never come up with an original idea - gf bought me a Raspberry PI some years back after I'd commented it might be fun to play around with. I think I've turned it on twice.

I'd rather be out in the garage fettling the cars (which are all too old to have requirements for techy stuff )
    Yeah finding the energy after a day of work isn't something I have had for some years. I was a proper coding nerd as a teen, genuinely loved it, so when I initially got into it as a job I thought nothing of working all day, then spending 4 hours in the evening working on my own projects. I still enjoy writing code but I also enjoy mucking around in the garden with power tools and ride-on mowers...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post

What kind of filthy pervert are you???

They are the work of SAi...TAN! Away with you yer wanton harlot!!!! Consorting with such wickedness!!!!!!

First its a nicely shaped formula then Beelzebub beckons you in with VBA!!! Before you know it you are abusing powerquery in team meetings.

I bet you don't even use iferror to cover your shame...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Probably not for 20 years or so. After spending all day in front of a computer screen it just isn't appealing to do the same in my spare time.

Occasionally I think I ought to do something myself but never come up with an original idea - gf bought me a Raspberry PI some years back after I'd commented it might be fun to play around with. I think I've turned it on twice.

I'd rather be out in the garage fettling the cars (which are all too old to have requirements for techy stuff )

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Occasionally. When I need to. E.g. for solving the Listener numerical crossword puzzles. I've got one little hobby on the go as well.

I enjoy doing it for money as well.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Is that something you've shared or talked about before, what's it do?
    Detects bottoms visible from space using AI and plots them on Bing?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Yeh. But can't think of anything to do now my Bing map thingy has all the features I could think of.
    Is that something you've shared or talked about before, what's it do?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I am by no means a coder but I do enjoy tinkering when I have a defined purpose. That purpose rarely presents itself outside of work.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    I code as a professional for money only. If clearing tulip covered fatburgs down in sewers paid more than IT I would enjoy that more than agile bulltulip meetings with moronic child like amateurs that infect all large client companies now.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    I briefly thought about learning how to code for an Arduino type thing but decided I have too many hobbies as it is!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I've been dabbling with Quantum Computers

https://qiskit.org/

I'm currently grappling with the Quantum Fourier Transform

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Haven't written a line of code in years.

Or designed any electronics.

Or etched a printed circuit board.

Despite having all the kit & kaboodle necessary for such.

Retirement is an odd thing: all the time in the world and no motivation to do anything.

Laying a new concrete floor for the old shed, on the other hand...

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh. But can't think of anything to do now my Bing map thingy has all the features I could think of.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X