• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Coding for fun

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coding for fun

I can't remember the last time I wrote code for myself, that nobody was paying me to write. Finally got some done today and it was quite enjoyable.

Anyone else sad enough to still be writing code for fun/hobby purposes?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

No, I don't think I've ever written a single line of code for any other reason than my own financial recompense, either directly or indirectly.

You sound like you'd enjoy Sql Saturdays.

Comment

Sure, I code for fun frequently, usually as part of some project with my kid. Lately I've been working on an alarm clock that uses old Russian vacuum tubes similar to Nixies and Arduino to control it.

Comment

Yeh. But can't think of anything to do now my Bing map thingy has all the features I could think of.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Haven't written a line of code in years.

Or designed any electronics.

Or etched a printed circuit board.

Despite having all the kit & kaboodle necessary for such.

Retirement is an odd thing: all the time in the world and no motivation to do anything.

Laying a new concrete floor for the old shed, on the other hand...
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I've been dabbling with Quantum Computers

https://qiskit.org/

I'm currently grappling with the Quantum Fourier Transform
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

I briefly thought about learning how to code for an Arduino type thing but decided I have too many hobbies as it is!
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

I code as a professional for money only. If clearing tulip covered fatburgs down in sewers paid more than IT I would enjoy that more than agile bulltulip meetings with moronic child like amateurs that infect all large client companies now.
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I am by no means a coder but I do enjoy tinkering when I have a defined purpose. That purpose rarely presents itself outside of work.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Yeh. But can't think of anything to do now my Bing map thingy has all the features I could think of.
                    Is that something you've shared or talked about before, what's it do?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X