• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview question - business wanting something stupid"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Spin the work out so long they decide it's too expensive and give up. Everyone wins.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Alan Turing & Alexander "Alastair" Guthrie Denniston
    That was actually Dr R V Jones. Our own NickFitz put me on to his excellent 'Most Secret War'. Many more examples of this kind of thing in it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    The thing is, how do you know that it is stupid? You, as a lowly contractor, don't have the big picture - it might actually make sense to do it that way.

An example of this, is the following: In WW2, an RAF squadron Commander was ordered to send a pilot up, alone, in a Hurricane, fly over a particular point on the Normandy coast, and return home. Every day at 12 noon for a month. Crazy, thought the commander. But he still did it, despite his pilot nearly getting shot down by anti aircraft batteries every time.

It was only many years afterwards that he found out the purpose of this exercise. It is that we had found the German radio operator in that location always sent a message to his commander over the Enigma radio system every time an allied plane flew over.
    So we made sure that we had a plane fly over, every day, at the same time, keeping all other allied aircraft away, knowing that the message he would be sending each time would be the same. It allowed us to validate that the daily encryption codes we had broken for that day, were correct.
    I don't think most bosses are up there with Alan Turing & Alexander "Alastair" Guthrie Denniston. It is surprising how often I have to point the bend in the middle of my right arm and explain "that is an elbow".

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Mrs Eek mentioned this court case last week Magistrates issue fine over tree felling .
    It was only a sycamore FFS. Just a big weed

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Point out the flaws in the plan and where it may be contrary to policy / best practice.
    Highlight the associated risks and the impact should those risks be realized.
    Ask them to confirm in writing that they want you to do it anyway.
    Invoice.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Nope there is a big difference between knowledge (you should have known) and an additional task (you needed to have checked).

In IT it's the difference between being asked to wipe a secretary's laptop and accepting the blame for no-one being paid on the discovery that the laptop contained the only copy of the FD's password for the company's bank account.
    Okay, I'm not really sure what you're on about now if I'm entirely truthful. You brought up a legal case, initially, but now you seem to be backing away from the legal argument.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    What I said, isn't it?
    Nope there is a big difference between knowledge (you should have known) and an additional task (you needed to have checked).

In IT it's the difference between being asked to wipe a secretary's laptop and accepting the blame for no-one being paid on the discovery that the laptop contained the only copy of the FD's password for the company's bank account.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Shouldn't sexual equality embrace the idea that women should make their own decisions?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    "The chances are that the SME will have more domain specific knowledge than myself so I would seek clarity and implement if required."

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by Age quod agis View Post
    I had an interview with IT in a financial institution.

The question was what would you do if senior management from business wanted something done that was stupid.
    The thing is, how do you know that it is stupid? You, as a lowly contractor, don't have the big picture - it might actually make sense to do it that way.

An example of this, is the following: In WW2, an RAF squadron Commander was ordered to send a pilot up, alone, in a Hurricane, fly over a particular point on the Normandy coast, and return home. Every day at 12 noon for a month. Crazy, thought the commander. But he still did it, despite his pilot nearly getting shot down by anti aircraft batteries every time.

It was only many years afterwards that he found out the purpose of this exercise. It is that we had found the German radio operator in that location always sent a message to his commander over the Enigma radio system every time an allied plane flew over.
    So we made sure that we had a plane fly over, every day, at the same time, keeping all other allied aircraft away, knowing that the message he would be sending each time would be the same. It allowed us to validate that the daily encryption codes we had broken for that day, were correct.
    Last edited by GJABS; 20 January 2020, 13:08.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    How does the IT know the request was stupid?

Typical IT think they know best, the business wants what the business wants. IT wonder why the business forms it's own internal IT function. Sometimes one side is right, sometimes the other.

Leave a comment:

• vwdan
    replied
    Not quite the question is more how much effort should you as a contractor (albeit in this case a tree surgeon rather than IT bod) be required to confirm that what you've been asked to do is above board and legal. The council's viewpoint is that the information is easily available, I'm curious as to what the tree surgeon's argument is.
    What I said, isn't it?

it will come down to what constitutes negligence, and what constitutes reasonable. ..........When it comes to your own work - similar questions would be asked. Did you know? Should you have known? Would a reasonable person, of the same skills, known? Did you do due dilligence? Were the orders untruthful or misleading? Etc etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    If asked to do anything stupid I escalate to my divorce lawyer.

Has happened more times than it should....

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    Ordered to do something *illegal*. I don't think the case will change anything or bring in any kind of new precedent - it will come down to what constitutes negligence, and what constitutes reasonable. A builder wouldn't get taken to court if he builds an extension without planning permission, but does so to his clients plans. On the other hand, he's not going to be able to claim ignorance if the request is to knock down the neighbours conservatory.

When it comes to your own work - similar questions would be asked. Did you know? Should you have known? Would a reasonable person, of the same skills, known? Did you do due dilligence? Were the orders untruthful or misleading? Etc etc etc.

It's worth noting that few laws would make a distinction between being asked to do something - you're essentially relying on what defences each piece of legislation provides and common law defences.

Buuut, to be honest, I don't really understand the conflation with illegal and stupid in this thread, or what it proves. I'd hope nobody here would knowingly do something illegal - surely it's the grey area that's far more fun.
    Not quite the question is more how much effort should you as a contractor (albeit in this case a tree surgeon rather than IT bod) be required to confirm that what you've been asked to do is above board and legal. The council's viewpoint is that the information is easily available, I'm curious as to what the tree surgeon's argument is.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Which part of that is related to English Criminal law?
    none of it.
    but if eveyone else is posting bollolks, why shouldn't i??

hth

Leave a comment:

Working...
X