• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interviewee red flags"

Collapse

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    Any that are postponed with no good reason.

Gottya questions to try and trip you up

Anymore than two interviews

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

There must be about 70 Oxbridge colleges - if you know all their stripes and insignia you must be some kind of genius in which case you should be building the next megacorp not posting on here!
    In my experience Oxbridge graduates who haven't particularly distinguished themselves in life will make pretty sure you know they went to Oxbridge within the first 30 seconds of meeting you.

I worked in Canary Wharf for a while and it it was quite common to see people wearing battered Oxbridge college intramural sports coats on their way to the office just to let the rest of us mortals know we are in their presence.

I worked with one such character who even had the nerve to complain that his manager liked to hire people from tulip universities because said manager attended one himself.

This is despite the fact said manager was younger than him and had already made director.

Leave a comment:

• hungry_hog
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    Candidates that turn up wearing Oxbridge college ties, cufflinks or signet rings.
    There must be about 70 Oxbridge colleges - if you know all their stripes and insignia you must be some kind of genius in which case you should be building the next megacorp not posting on here!

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    no show.
    I did this once.

I am interviewing for a contract role at a client that was 15 minutes walking distance from my place. I check the sky, it's fairly clear so I tie my shoes, put on my ray-ban and off I go. Midway through my walk it starts to rain and in 10 seconds I am literally soaked. I take it as a sign: the universe doesn't want me to take that job. So I walk back and I send the email to the agent whose reply is "you should've gone to the interview drenched". Immediately deleted him from LinkedIn.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied
    Turning up in jeans and yesterdays T-Shirt.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Incognito
    replied
    Once had an interviewee scheduled but we found a public chat channel where he repeatedly said he was going to be late for work so we cancelled the interview.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    A funny handshake, or ties/badges that link them to society/organisations that try to encourage deals to be kept in house. I want people based on their skills at doing the job, not on who they know.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I really don't like casual wear in the office. Flip flops especially so. I don't like flip flops generally, as they are so uncomfortable, and most people have horrible feet that I simply don't want to see.

Smart-casual, fine. But looking like you just rolled out of bed, off the beach, out the bar? No.
    I think I've found the lady that used to give me snotty looks if I wore shorts on hot days.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I really don't like casual wear in the office. Flip flops especially so. I don't like flip flops generally, as they are so uncomfortable, and most people have horrible feet that I simply don't want to see.

Smart-casual, fine. But looking like you just rolled out of bed, off the beach, out the bar? No.
    Sliders woman, sliders. Get with the times.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post

Anyone wearing a tie.

One of my clients is very casual to say the least. I often wear jeans and a hoodie in the office and I'm one of the most overdressed people there.

Been co-interviewing for one role recently with the Head of IT and he was wearing shorts and flip flops for one interview.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Candidates that turn up wearing Oxbridge college ties, cufflinks or signet rings.
    Anyone wearing a tie.

One of my clients is very casual to say the least. I often wear jeans and a hoodie in the office and I'm one of the most overdressed people there.

Been co-interviewing for one role recently with the Head of IT and he was wearing shorts and flip flops for one interview.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Spurs fans, man utd fans, caravan club members.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Turns up late or no show.

I did this a few times for permie roles but never for a contract role.

Subconscious i think, i never really wanted the roles cause they were permie, heart wasn't in it.

Once i got stuck in some really bad morning rush hour traffic on the way to the interview, so was going to be really late for it, so I just turned the car around and went back home. At least i tried
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 18 May 2022, 16:24.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post

I wouldn't recognise them if I saw them...
    You don't know what cufflinks are?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I wouldn't recognise them if I saw them...
    Take your prejudices to General where they belong...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X