• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• hobnob
    replied
    Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
    Wondering, hoping that this Microsoft outage will help kickstart IT.
    Just to clarify, there were 2 problems on Friday: a brief Azure outage (due to Microsoft), then a huge outage on Windows machines (due to Crowdstrike).

The fix for the Crowdstrike issue involves booting up the Windows machine (server or client) in safe mode, then deleting a file. That means that you either need local access or remote access via an iLO/iDRAC card. In practical terms, that means that there's a benefit to people who can work on-site rather than remotely, and there would be a similar issue in most ransomware scenarios.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied
    Wondering, hoping that this Microsoft outage will help kickstart IT.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Was contacted about a role this morning, the same role I've been contacted about several times over the last 15 years. Initially the client secured resources directly, I considered it but turned them down as it would have been a long daily commute to the centre of London. Then they outsourced to Mrs Sunak, and the role allegedly became more and more remote. Each time they have tweaked the spec very slightly, and promise mostly remote working, but I know the client wants someone onsite, while the implementation/support company want someone with knowledge to fix their bad design, document how it should be done, then train them before being pushed. It could have been a very interesting gig, but not for me.
    Doesn't sound bad TBH, got the details please?

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
    once again, Mod favouritism.

modreply 'when it's noticed/reported it gets acted upon'
    aye, - right!
    Last edited by sadkingbilly; Yesterday, 11:52.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Was contacted about a role this morning, the same role I've been contacted about several times over the last 15 years. Initially the client secured resources directly, I considered it but turned them down as it would have been a long daily commute to the centre of London. Then they outsourced to Mrs Sunak, and the role allegedly became more and more remote. Each time they have tweaked the spec very slightly, and promise mostly remote working, but I know the client wants someone onsite, while the implementation/support company want someone with knowledge to fix their bad design, document how it should be done, then train them before being pushed. It could have been a very interesting gig, but not for me.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    once again, Mod favouritism.

<mod snip>when it's noticed/reported it gets acted upon</modsnip>

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

The feck, those are £10k a pop?
    Not if he stole them they weren't.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 19 July 2024, 12:59.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied

I only have 2 bikes. Both are Dogma F's.
    The feck, those are £10k a pop?

Leave a comment:

• agentzero
    replied

Don't drive a ferrari to deliver take away meals. There are lots of second hand commuter hybrid bikes on ebay and gumtree now. Get one of those if you're going to progress with a temporary delivery job.

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    I love cyclists! - MAMIL's- yum!
    couldn't eat a whole one though.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    I just re-watched it. All good but I wouldn't do it on that bike. Position is too aggressive, the box was all but parallel to the ground. I'd either do it on a nice flat bar bike with relaxed geometry or I'd get one of those front rack and put the box on it.

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    <mod snip> no winking in the profs

Leave a comment:

• Unix
    replied

Thanks. Just watched it. He did 10hrs Fri night, Sat am, 10hrs, ~50miles, £135.00. I might just register and have a go. Does look like fun TBH.

​​​​
    £135? I get that going to the toilet on ClientCo's dime.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    I just re-watched it. All good but I wouldn't do it on that bike. Position is too aggressive, the box was all but parallel to the ground. I'd either do it on a nice flat bar bike with relaxed geometry or I'd get one of those front rack and put the box on it.

Leave a comment:

• SchumiStars
    replied

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
    Great, so you already have a bike and the necessary accessories.

Initial cost = 0

You can make money from the start with deliveroo and just eat.

I remember seeing a GCN youtube video where one of the presenters did exactly that and showed clearly how much money he made by doing food deliveries.
    Thanks. Just watched it. He did 10hrs Fri night, Sat am, 10hrs, ~50miles, £135.00. I might just register and have a go. Does look like fun TBH.

​​​​

Leave a comment:

Working...
X