• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of the Market"

Collapse

• PCTNN
    replied
    Same. It also depends on what role I apply for or the sector even.

Like, if I apply for a Lead designer role in the public sector, why would I bother including that gig I did 3 years ago as a mid/senior designer in banking.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I've trimmed my CV for years. It only shows about the last 5-8 gigs. Putting stuff I did in 1992 is of no interest to anyone.
    +1 - were I to update things it would only go back 10 years - as that's enough time to show you are time served, know wtf you are talking about and have appropriate battle scars ..

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I've trimmed my CV for years. It only shows about the last 5-8 gigs. Putting stuff I did in 1992 is of no interest to anyone.

Leave a comment:

• DitchTheBox
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I have removed some of my experience from my CV now I am nearly 50.

I am quite lucky in that I look young as well but sooner later I am sure I will start being rejected fir culture fit reasons.

Originally posted by t0bytoo View Post
    Not to go down an age discrimination hole - but, I have found that I have done better with interviews over the phone, versus video chat.

I also cut back my CV to hide 20+ year old stuff.
    I'm going to try the same then I think and trim my CV. Will see how the rest of this week goes with agency/interview feedback, and if there are no bites I'll see if an overhaul improves things. Same here - I've done fewer and brief telephone interviews and got decent gigs really quickly before.

Leave a comment:

• ensignia
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Better inside than dead, I guess. Anything's gonna beat my current £0/day gig
    You weren't saying this a few months ago when you were goading others for not being "true suppliers"...

Inside contracts are not going anywhere, everyone has just rolled over and accepted.

And tbh, like NLUK said, it's actually not too bad, I got paid a nice sum weekly into my personal account while my other gigs topped up the company coffers. Inside rates tend to be around 25% higher anyway so it's not too much of a hit.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I've never understand this "never inside" or "never perm" mentality.

Have a preference, for sure, but never say never.

Sometimes taking a perm job will help you the gain experience and free training that will allow you change directions as a contractor, or simply gain access to markets that you'd otherwise struggle to get into.

An inside gig is better than no gig and I'd rather leave my war chest intact than use it up unnecessarily.
    Me neither. IMO it's bordering on ridiculous. I've been inside albeit with a decent rate uplift and I've never felt better off. More cash than I can spend in the bank every month for a short period of time (over a full contracting career), moved on and happy days. I'll do it again tomorrow if I need to.

It's short term, it hardly puts you on the breadline, it's no indication of how bad/good the work is and so on. If you can't afford to go inside then that's your fault, not the tax status of the role.

To just discount it carte blanche is just ridiculous. Yes laugh off the agents wanting 400 a day inside when you are a 500 a day outside contractor by all means but to write the whole concept off just because is plain daft

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I've never understand this "never inside" or "never perm" mentality.

Have a preference, for sure, but never say never.

Sometimes taking a perm job will help you the gain experience and free training that will allow you change directions as a contractor, or simply gain access to markets that you'd otherwise struggle to get into.

An inside gig is better than no gig and I'd rather leave my war chest intact than use it up unnecessarily.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied

Yeah, everyone needs to draw the line somewhere.

I remember when IR35 changes kicked in a lot of contractors I knew were adamant they'd never take an inside gig and they'd rather be out of work. A lot of them were on the bench for 6+ months and now they're either permies or working inside ir35.

Everyone says they'll never break, until they break.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post

I'm finding the same, current contract coming to an end so looking what's out there. Looks like my streak of 12 years outside contracting continuously is coming to an end.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    A few calls but almost all Inside IR35 now. Fearing I may lose my status as a gold-star contractor - never tainted by Inside work!

Also a lot of Indian call centre stuff which just goes nowhere. So depressing.

I'm finding the same, current contract coming to an end so looking what's out there. Looks like my streak of 12 years outside contracting continuously is coming to an end.

Leave a comment:

• t0bytoo
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post

No - I work with Scala.
    That'll stop me wondering whenever I see your posts.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by t0bytoo View Post
    Not to go down an age discrimination hole - but, I have found that I have done better with interviews over the phone, versus video chat.

On another note: The Dude - do you work with Ruby? There was a Dude who worked at gaming place.... Many years ago.
    No - I work with Scala.

Leave a comment:

• t0bytoo
    replied

On another note: The Dude - do you work with Ruby? There was a Dude who worked at gaming place.... Many years ago.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by DitchTheBox View Post

It has crossed my mind that it may be age related, definitely. I lead with my x years experience on my CV and as an intro in the interviews. I wondered if maybe they equate that as being less flexible and less agreeable.
    I have removed some of my experience from my CV now I am nearly 50.

I am quite lucky in that I look young as well but sooner later I am sure I will start being rejected fir culture fit reasons.

Leave a comment:

• DitchTheBox
    replied
    A few calls but almost all Inside IR35 now. Fearing I may lose my status as a gold-star contractor - never tainted by Inside work!

Also a lot of Indian call centre stuff which just goes nowhere. So depressing.
    There are still some outside gigs out there. I've noticed potential clients expecting a lot more BAU in advertised gigs now they’re mostly inside IR35. When I went into this it was to provide my services to clients as a business and with a position of mutual respect B2B. I'm seeing a definite lean towards being treated as BAU staff now with the inside roles. Sad times for everyone who went into things with a business mentality.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X