• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit Is Costing the UK £100 Billion a Year in Lost Output"

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

What would be the basis for doing so under UK law? Not adhering to someone else's rules I presume..

Just in case the point escaped you, we are talking about when we have finally dumped the existing EU laws not where we are at the moment. The question was "what are the benefits" post Brexit but that is clearly too subtle for you.
    It was the UK when in the UK who suggested this regulation and pushed it through

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

They can sue in the UK courts so there is no difference. You are a KW17 2JF of the highest order
    What would be the basis for doing so under UK law? Not adhering to someone else's rules I presume..

Just in case the point escaped you, we are talking about when we have finally dumped the existing EU laws not where we are at the moment. The question was "what are the benefits" post Brexit but that is clearly too subtle for you.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Yes I know. The point is we can choose which tender to accept and the losers won't be able to go to the European courts to get that decision overturned. Or if they do we can simply ignore them. Its called sovreignity...

They can sue in the UK courts so there is no difference. You are a KW17 2JF of the highest order

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Quite surprised that Brexiters aren't shouting about all the other international organisations that the UK belongs to and in many cases have to follow their rules. Just wait until the UK signs up to this one: International tax reform: OECD releases technical guidance for implementation of the global minimum tax - OECD

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied

Yes I know. The point is we can choose which tender to accept and the losers won't be able to go to the European courts to get that decision overturned. Or if they do we can simply ignore them. Its called sovreignity...

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

If you read the small print in the Brexit agreement then you'll find that the UK government will still need to consider tenders from across the EU.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

For one glaring example, the UK government was forced to consider tenders from across the EU and cannot subsidise UK companies to improve their offering (one rule regularly ignored by France, for example). That one is still on the statute books.
    If you read the small print in the Brexit agreement then you'll find that the UK government will still need to consider tenders from across the EU.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Reds under the Beds died out in the 60s - or hadn't you noticed? These days we know exactly who the bad guys are.
    And this is why Russian agents are detained before they can carry out their dastardly attempts to poison people in the UK with the likes of polonium or novichok. Gotcha.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    All right, I give up and bow to your collective generic wisdom. You are all correct, Brexit was and is a continuing disaster and the country is totally buggered for all eternity because some of our most important elected politicians are in the pay of the Russians. Or the trade unions, but of course we don't talk about them. Oh and Ukraine, the world energy crisis and Covid never happened and we didn't do anything about them either.

I await the glorious day when the ever-adaptable Starmer's Labour take over next year and put everything to rights - according to their own paymasters view of course, which means most of you will be out of a job. Meanwhile I'm off to Mumsnet, there's far more rational discussion over there.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    ...no one seems to be able to articulate...a single delivered positive since leaving.
    Here's one.

It's easier to spot c***s you wouldn't want in your life.

For me, that's anyone who comes across like Farage/Rees-Mogg/Cummins/Johnson/Trump.

There's a handful of them on this site.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied

There's 4000-odd to choose from. Quite a few of them can simply be replaced by the ones we already had. Quite of lot of regulatory-related laws are actually inferior to what we already had, and others are to support things like inefficient farming practices that we don't suffer from.
    So what you're saying is that there's no advantage of moving away from the EU as our laws are already more prescriptive. OK fair enough.

But the point is not so much the stupid laws as the regaining of our own ability to set them all by ourselves to suit the UK's needs and not having to worry about those of Luxembourg or Portugal.
    Again, such as?

For one glaring example, the UK government was forced to consider tenders from across the EU and cannot subsidise UK companies to improve their offering (one rule regularly ignored by France, for example). That one is still on the statute books.
    I'm not sure I understand. If it's not followed by France, it's not a rule right?

I was actually working for on the RBS account for the Williams & Glynn spin off when the Brexit vote happened. I was immediately terminated (along with everyone else from the vendor). So I get that sometimes short term government support is useful. Couldn't the Government just step in a buy them in the event that a business is commercially unviable, but useful for the economy and run it as a service? How does it work with EDF etc?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I just did.
    What, the one about having a free market economy where you don’t hamper competition? You’re saying the UK should prevent competition and allow “support” to mean the government can pay its friends to deliver contracts.

I’m surprised you haven’t been talking about the sign in the dartford tunnel or the lawnmower insurance red herring.

Apart from not liking a free market, what other laws? The one where pint glasses had a crown on them and pint lines, or maybe where all our speed limits are in km/h because we had no autonomy?

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

But you can’t name any of them,
    I just did.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Black passports made abroad
    I've got one. It really is blue.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

There's 4000-odd to choose from. Quite a few of them can simply be replaced by the ones we already had. Quite of lot of regulatory-related laws are actually inferior to what we already had…
    But you can’t name any of them, and we could still set our own laws anyway, just our government was too lazy to do so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X