• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all

Dry bright and sunny. Have seen the sun rise! Currently 14 degrees with a high of 18 expected. Showers forecast off and on.

Out for a jeep tour of the west of the island (otherwise I wouldn't be up this early!).

Yesterday we had afternoon tea and didn't get rained on. Then we walked into Funchal (it's downhill), had a mooch around, had some dinner then got a taxi back.

Comment

Morning.

Tuesday apparently.

Left the kitchen light on all night.

Dark.

Damp.

Dreary.

Drizzly.

Grey.

Sunless.

Cold in here at 12 deg, 11.5 deg in the kitchen, 10 deg in the leanto.

1024 mBar, 30.238 in Hg, 768.06 Torr, 14.85 psi, (down from 1026 last night), 66% RH (GDR hair), 64% (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 21st of April 2019 many bits of dead animals were consumed by the assembled congregation, while I partook of the Sunday Trip Down The Dump whereas next door's source of the crap went to the fecking pub in Mumbles. . I wonder what their previous slave died of. .

Entertainment (at this ridiculous hour): The Repair Shoppe: Elizabethan Tape Recorder, Clockwork toy car someone stepped on, dress covered in sequins.

In other news the back is still complaining. . The fun is rapidly going out of this.

And there's a foot and a half of books plus a dvd donated to the Oxfam bookshop in Swansea.

Waited at the bus stop until midday, then walked down to the bus stand, wandered along it for a while & lo! the X7 to Swansea turned up a mere 20 minutes late, packed to the gunnels since the previous bus never turned up at all.

Books duly donated. Pair of shoes and a pack of socks purchased from M&S once I'd figured out how to reach the top floor with the escalator out of order: one lift only does 1 & 2, the other lift does 1, 2, and 3 but freaks out "overloaded" when more than 6 people get in it (feck me it's supposed to take 2 tonnes, so either we're all grossly overweight or it's fecked).

T6 back. The emergency stops at traffic lights are due in part to the traffic light cameras.

The gigantic block of student flats is approaching some sort of completion and takes away a car park & any natural light to the T2 block.

Lunch: baked potato with cheese & baked beans, a yellow corner yog (the last until the price comes down a bit), bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast, 0.91*1.61 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: the thing about the Mafia & waste disposal followed by The Archers. Stuff seems to have happened since last I listened. I think Walter Gabriel has passed away.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the sunshine and cold breeze. It was really breezy out there.

Gave the remains of the goat willow to next door but one who have a wood burner.

Freecell score: 86%, running average 85%.

Tea: Brains faggots with peas & such, a yog, some apricot halves, 0.91*1.63 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Wheeler Dealers S17 E9 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo7: bought for £6750 with a dismantled engine that had a hole in the side of the block where a conrod had attempted to escape, Total: £12497, Sold: £15k.

WD was interspersed during the tedious bits with bits of "The Man who shot Liberty Valance (1962) B&W". Print the Leg End.

Joy of Painting: the sleep was strong in this one: woodland with a stream and waterfall.

Maigret: watched it before. Why only S4 eps? very odd.

Ice Age Footprints on PBS. New Mexico prehistoric footprints of homo sap chasing giant ground sloths.

FBI S2 E15 "Legacy".

FBI S2 E16 "Safe room".
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 31 January 2023, 20:14.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning denizens

Blue sky with small white fluffy bits to the west, large white fluffy bits to the east, and a bit of a breeze causing the conifers to shimmy gently. Currently 9°C which is the high for the day, "feels like" 5° because (they say) of the wind, and the barometers are down slightly at 1010/1018mB

Comment

Busy morning out the front: a pair of magpies wandering around the small lawns at the front of the opposite block, several pigeons on the big lawn, and then a squirrel emerged from the front hedgerow for a bit of a scamper. All quite different to "there's a broken-down lorry at the pedestrian crossing and the guy at the hardware shop is putting out his display of bins"

Comment

Over to the old place for more lugging and binning

Meanwhile, it's been a very nice afternoon, the cloud having almost completely gone; though despite the supposed 8°C, the wind is definitely making it feel a bit chilly

Comment

Tea has been a roast shoulder of lamb dinner, which was inordinately nice

The car earlier was an Evo which came in with a hole in the engine block, but I'd seen it before so didn't mind missing a lot of it whilst preparing or checking on the cooking

And the gold hunters' fortunes varied from excellent to mediocre, with difficulties about contracts, leases, and family cropping up for some

But as that didn't last as long as it took to eat the meal, I topped up with a bit of Police Interceptors

Now I need to decide whether to watch telly or read a book

Comment

Loony lady 1 on Sunday, loony lady 3 yesterday, loony lady 2 today. I am loony ladied out. Think I'll give up on 3, yak, yak, yak. Like having a cockerel stuck in yer ear.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

TFBSZ.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Tonight's major motion picture wasn't a premiere, but I can't remember if I've ever seen it all the way through rather than just catching part of it when it's been on: Powell and Pressburger's The Battle of the River Plate (1956). Very good stuff, though of course it has a more straightforward, almost documentary, style compared with their more mystically-tinged things like A Canterbury Tale

And then I started reading The Waste Land: A Biography of a Poem by Matthew Hollis ​​​​​​​

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Wednesday.

Dry.

Greyish.

Wanly Sunnyish.

NotSoCold in here at 11.7 deg, 12 deg in the kitchen, 10.5 deg in the leanto.

1024.5 mBar, 30.253 in Hg, 768.438 Torr, 14.859 psi, (unchanged), 66% RH (GDR hair), 62% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 21st of April 2019 I was watching, wait for it, wait for it, "The Battle of the River Plate (1956)" and found it quite affecting, poor bloody sailormen & all that, whilst WTFH was raising a glass to an absent friend, and NF was awaiting the gory details of my final days of paid employment, of which there were few*, and the never ending Oak Island nutjobbery were in that France looking at castle dungeons, presumably in search of the Knights who say "Ni!".

*23 since you ask.

Walk (abbreviated) walked in the grey gloom and chilly breeze.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast, bramble jelly and marmalade on slices of toast (he types suddenly remembering that he hasn't eaten it**), a yog (non corner), 0.91*1.61 pints of good Glengettie tea.

** He has now.

Entertainment: intermittent noise from Y&Y.

The thing on R4 about waste disposal & the Mafia.

Spent about 2 hours doing a bit of gardening, clearing away the remaining bits of goat willow, chopping down the phlox, tidying up, put the exploded glass top of next door's garden table in bin bags so it can go in the wheely bin.

During which I watched some long tailed tits on the bird feeder, then this little brown bird came along to the apple tree: a tree creeper. .

The sparrows are having a fine old time too.

Having stuck my foot through another flanellette sheet I decided Something Must Be Done & had a look in the chest of drawers.

Voila! another sheet discovered and, as a bonus, yet another brand new sheet, in the packet, from the late lamented Shaw's Drapers.

So that'll keep me going for a while as long as they don't see the TD too often.

Tea: chicken in white sauce with rice n peas, the last of the apricot halves, a yog, 0.91*1.59 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM.

Wheeler Dealers S17 E10 VW Golf 3.5 CC in yellow: bought £1350, Total: £2676, Sold: £3k1.

Fred Dibnah waffling on about steam engines.

Joy of Painting with Whispering Bob Foss: a winter scene. Stone me, that was effective. .

The Repaire Shoppe on BBC1NotWales: WWII aircraft crash damaged dolly (the crash killed the owner's mother), vinyl covered fishing box. Church Skool sign with added woodworm..

"Who do you think you are?". Kathryn Ryan. Loads of Irish ancestors but she wants to know about the English ones: finally traced back to Dorset: Corfe Castle: a brewer.

"The bad skin clinic." Probly a repeat.S2 E11: woman with perforating collagenosis. Don't remember this one. Chap with multiple lipomas. Little boy with a rash up one side of his body. Woman with a buffalo hump: liposuction.

A previously unwatched ep of "Abandoned Engineering"S8 E4, the details of which now escape me other than some ex mental hospital in Idaho, some concrete mostrosity in Bulgaria half built by the Russian Mafia who then buggered off and abandoned it, Swiss road tunnel that was designed as a fallout shelter but proved to be useless in a test coz one of the blast doors wouldn't work properly, and something else, the something else being a WWII stringbag flying simulator at HMS Jackdaw, training pilots to drop torpedoes.

https://crailmuseum.business.site/po...19760?hl=en-GB
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 2 February 2023, 10:34.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X