• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

OK, you've already sent me down a rabbit hole on that one. I used to live close to Stane Street. There's a few houses round here containing "Fosse" in their name, so having checked the route of Fosse Way, it appears I live quite close to it.
    We're practically neighbours then

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Chilly in here at 15.9 deg.

1022 mBar, in Hg, Torr, psi. (up from 1020 last night), 70% RH.

Thursday.

Duvet cover in the WM.

Duvet cover out of the WM and hanging on the line.

Sheets in the WM.

All this due to a beetly thing I encountered on the duvet cover last night, 60 deg wash should dispense with same.

The Big Orange Vax will be deployed later to go over the mattress & the rest of the bed to remove anymore that are lurking therein.

The cleaning of the springs goes on. .

Duvet cover off the line & in the TD.

Sheets out of the WM and hanging on the line.

Duvet cover out of the TD and airing over the banisters.

Bedroom now in bits with the mattress on end, the divan on end, the drawers removed & all of it vacced within an inch (25.4mm) of its life.

Whilst stuff is moved out of the way, the bedroom window & frame were washed, dried, & polished a bit, along with the bathroom window, the lump of bird crap on which proved so stuck on that an abrasive pad was pressed into use (worry not, it won't see the saucepans again).

Lunch: pea and ham soup with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, bramble jelly & marmalade sandwiches, red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Y&Y Sliced Bread nonsense, all about daps, otherwise know as "running shoes" apparently, a subject of little or no practical innerest to me. . Can't remember the last time I ran other than avoiding being squashed by some lunatic in car.

Bed reassembled, with the drawers duly vacced & dusted out.

Sheets in the TD to finish off.

Next: make bed so I have somewhere to sleep tonight.

Sounds like Xogg and I were equally good at Latin. .

Horace & Caesar, the whole of Gaul being in three parts apparently. He should have stuck to having jam for tea. Or something.

Bed made.

Tea: Chilli con carne with rice, the last of the peach slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Discovering Ronald Coleman.

Farscape S2 E2 "Vitas Mortis". The sort of rejuvenation one.

Discovering Sergio Leone.

Discovering Michael Caine. Not a lot of people know that. .

UFO bollox on Blaze. It's not looking too promising. Roswell bollox.

The Ancient Aliens bollox clip show is on at 22:00, where they string together random clips of total bollox you've seen before. I suppose it saves money.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 5 May 2022, 20:06.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

I remember a while back, a classicist on Twitter argued that there isn't actually much evidence that Johnson is any good at either of them, despite making out he is; they reckoned that the stuff he trots out on occasion is only ever the kind of stuff that you learn by rote to get through the exams, knowing which doesn't prove you have any real knowledge of the languages.

Having got an A in my Latin O Level despite being extremely bad at it, I can confirm that this method, along with an ability to discern how words in English are related to their Latin roots and thereby being able make a good guess at unknown words when translating unfamiliar texts, can be enough to get you through with excellent marks
        Indeed.

In my case this involved memorising large chunks of The Illiad by rote in order to pass the translation part of the exam. As long as you recognised the first few words of the bit to be translated the rest was just regurgitation from memory.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I got a 6 at Latin O level. What a total waste of time learning Latin is. Seems the "experts" disagree though:

https://www.somptingabbotts.com/blog...n-for-children
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Afternoon all

It's hazy outside but nice and warm. Lisbon is set to be around 25 degrees when we arrive later today.

Had a lovely brunch earlier, at a restaurant that overlooks the ship's wake.

Internet connectivity is being more rubbish than usual and vessel finder isn't loading to give me a precise location.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Internet connectivity is being more rubbish than usual and vessel finder isn't loading to give me a precise location.
              You are here
              Map showing the Valiant Lady heading northeast towards the port of Lisbon.

Comment

Lunch: a bacon butty, which was delicious

And I've been failing to record my great laundry successes this week: towels on Tuesday, bedding yesterday, and jeans & chinos today

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

You are here
                  Map showing the Valiant Lady heading northeast towards the port of Lisbon.
                  We're closer than that now! We must be nearing land because the internet connection has recovered

Comment

I log on and find that LM has a new stalker.

Anyway afternoon!

Sunny outside.

Back to work for me.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      I log on and find that LM has a new stalker.
                      According to the app I have installed on her phone, she's got 153 new stalkers in the last 7 days.
                      47 of them are on the floating high-rise she's on, who are using the ship's wi-fi "security".
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X