• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The major motion picture premiere tonight was The Courier (2020), being the true story (though doubtless modified in parts for dramatic purposes) of the businessman Greville Wynne, who agreed to act on behalf of MI6 and the CIA as a courier for the Russian spy Oleg Penkovsky, and eventually discovered that an unwritten agreement is worth the paper it's written on; though after he'd spent a couple of years in a Soviet prison, the British government finally agreed to trade a Russian spy to get him back. A very good film indeed, I thought

And then a rewatch of Kursk: The Last Mission (2018) in which it is implied that branches of the Russian military are incompetent, under-equipped, and ineffective due to a combination of corruption and a desire to tell those in command what they'd like to hear rather than what they need to know. Plus ça change and all that

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
      down at the beach this weekend
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Damp.

Grey.

Vaguely hinting at sun.

Cold in here at 12.5 deg.

999mBar, in Hg, Torr, psi (up from 998 mBar last night), 72% RH.

Sunday judging by the dreary wailing on the wireless earlier.

Oh what it is to have been brought up in a Millenarian sort of way.

Always good to have a verse from the KJV to brighten one's day, "men's hearts failing them for fear", "sea of glass", "sea & the waves roaring", "have you come to take a spoil", sort of thing.

I was pondering on Gog and Magog this morning.

All good clean fun at the moment.

Walk (slightly abbreviated due to inconsiderate running event) walked.

It rained on me a bit.

Lunch: roast lamb shank (Morrisons, reduced) with roasties, roast onions (assuming I remember to fish them out of the oven when they're done rather than finding them during washing up), a corner yog (probably red), 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

The lamb looked done but could have had another 15 minutes or so. Must have lost my touch.

Entertainment: History's Mysteries, another OU epic.

Tea: baked potato with baked beans & cheese, a yog, some peach slices, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: HIstory's Mysteries continued.

The Ipcress File: with someone who most definitely isn't Michael Caine, and a lot of people know that.

I rather missed the express train that featured so prominently in the film.

The mystery of anthrax island on BBC Scotland: more joy.

"They" managed to contaminate the mainland too: some sheep, some cows, and some cats: all caused by "a carcass thrown from a passing Greek ship". As feckin if.

We haven't got to the black rabbits yet.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 March 2022, 22:26.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny spells here today, though a big cloud is getting in the way of them at the moment and there's a chance of showers later. Seems like there's a pretty strong breeze out there too. Currently 12°C and not expected to get past that, barometers very slightly down at 997/1003mB. And the mundane laundry that I kept forgetting to put on over the last couple of days is finally on

Comment

Early tea today, being a roast beef dinner

This used up some more of the joint I roasted the other day, and the rest has been chopped up ready for making scouse

Comment

Back home from the weekend away. Now need time for the liver to recover.

TFBSZ

Comment

Supper has been a cold chicken leg

The day's entertainment started with an episode of Meet the Chimps during tea, making up for the lamentable lack of Monkey Life at the moment

Then one of those films I've never actually seen in full, although I've seen the odd few minutes of it during its many Bank Holiday appearances over the decades: A Bridge Too Far (1977). Turns out it's very good, though at nearly three hours in length it's more of a commitment than a casual watch.

And finally S1E1 of Gathering Storm, a NatGeo series: Hurricane Dorian (TV Episode 2020). Very interesting, with a lot of footage being shot by people on the ground - well, on the sea, and in NOAA planes and so on; and the people who are on the ground don't stay there very long as it gets flooded

And I somehow also found time to track down some links for tomorrow, so I don't have to try to sort them out in a mad panic first thing in the morning

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
                  CBS, etc, but a touch of ground frost (outside temp was 2.5oC when me & The DogTW went out earlier)

Comment

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Cold in here at 12.6 deg.

1021 mBar, 30.15 in Hg, 765.8 Torr, 14.8 psi, (up from 1014 mBar last night), 73% RH.

Monday.

Telex machine gleaming brightly.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the pleasant sunshine. No irritating runners this morning & all the route markers bar one (which was screwed to a plank of wood) were removed.

Lunch: poached tomato and scrambled egg on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt toasted crust, bramble jelly & marmalade sandwiches, a red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00...pisodes/player

Which came to no particular conclusion that I could grasp.

Tea: more of the roast lamb , some peach slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Discovering Karl Malden.

Quantum Leap S5 E20 "The leap between the states". It's the one with MLK's great great grandfather.

Alias S1 E1 "Truth be told".

Oak Island nutjobbery S8 E25 "The silver spooner".

NCIS S18 E11 "Gut punch" The covid compliance one.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 14 March 2022, 21:13.

Comment

asdfasdf

Zen Chury.

Comment

Working...
                      X