• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Much telly tonight, starting by picking up ST:TNG again with S5E7, Unification I (TV Episode 1991), in which Spock returns, travelling to Romulus for mysterious reasons

Then a new Traffic Cops to go with dinner.

And then to Disney+ for the first two parts of Dopesick (TV Mini Series 2021), a dramatisation of the way Purdue Pharma (owned by the Sackler family) pushed OxyContin as a supposedly non-addictive opioid, thereby creating massive addiction problems across the USA, and the efforts of some people working in the American justice and medical systems to call them to account. Very good indeed, and a must-watch if you have access to it

And finally an Air Crash Investigation about an airliner that plummeted into a river in Sumatra

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning.

Dark.

Very dank.

Very dreary.

Very wet.

Very sunless.

Very grey.

Curiously warm in here at 14.9 deg.

Barometer has leapt up to 1001 mBar before subsiding to 997 mBar, 29.44 in Hg, 747.8 Torr, 66% RH.

Wednesday for all the good that does.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in occasional sunshine (which was unexpected).

The spillway on the res is doing its thundering thing, though not as mightily as all that, plus the leat down to the other ponds is not quite overflowing yet.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt toasted crust, bramble jelly sandwich on same, red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: NZ Motorway Patrol which included a Maori gentleman driving a bright yellow Ford Anglia which was duly forced off the road as unroadworthy, though it looked ok to me, followed by a timber truck that shed three wheels going around a bend, fortunately without killing anyone: the wheel nuts on the entire thing were finger tight: presumably not having been torqued up after maintenance. They didn't seem to have those little pointy arrow things on any of the wheel nuts that are a brilliant indication that tulip is about to happen. The daughter of the previous owner of this house hit a lorry tyre in the outside lane of the M4 in the dark, writing off her VW Beetle. Took ages to get to court & feck all happened to the lorry owner.

Since it wasn't raining, the shopping trip to Tesco via shanks' pony took place again, though rather overloaded on the return trip as witnessed by the rather damp state of my shirt when I removed my outer garments. Thank feck I didn't put the scarf on or I'd have died of heat stroke.

Barometer up to 1002 mBar at 15:15.

Freecell score: 100%, running average 84%.

Tea: chicken (explosive) in white sauce with rice & peas, some peach slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Oz Customs thing.

Oz Highway Patrol Specials: best 10 nutjobs Oz has produced.

Including a chap being done for riding his pushbike without a helmet: fine: $344.

Barometer up to 1004 mBar at 19:27.

Sain Fffagons on S4C: the Welsh folk museum.

A brief perusal of Huw Edward's early career.

Roswell S1 E12 "Into the woods" (since Mr Edwards proved less than gripping.

Am Dro (the celebrity version): a walk along the Glamorgan canal to Castell Coch, a walk in Pembroke ending at a beach (odd that, there's a lot of them about), a mad farmer up in north Wales (including a trip down an old gold mine), and a walk in Flintshire from somewhere I've never heard of to somewhere else I've never heard of.

Roswell S1 E13 "The convention" which includes a cameo by a Jonathon Frakes, one of the producers.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 December 2021, 23:47.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all
        Still wet & wild out. Finally got to see No Time To Die last night. Apart from going for a muddy walk, not sure what else will happen today.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning all

Dull and damp out but no active precipitation. Currently 13 degrees with a high of 15 expected and rain forecast for this evening. Barometer up to 1003 mBar.

HMWBO was successfully collected yesterday. I tried to cook something to eat but his self preservation mode kicked in and he played dead instead. We're off to visit the parentals this evening - just for dinner at a restaurant in Arundel.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
          Knights of King Henry II of England kill Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Beckett, in the cathedral 1170

Comment

This thread is definitely getting more challenging. It's resisting clicks on 'like' but not in a consistent manner

Comment

Morning denizens

Another grey day out; currently 12°C though, so pretty mild

Might get as high as 14° later but it's windy so "feels like" 10°. The barometers are up slightly at 989/997mB. Chance of rain tonight

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                This thread is definitely getting more challenging. It's resisting clicks on 'like' but not in a consistent manner
                Yes, I'm not sure what's causing that, though it's obviously another aspect of the Thanks/Likes plugin struggling. I'll be investigating this afternoon to see if I can at least get a temporary fix for the blank pages and missed likes, though a permanent fix might need more testing

I'll try to do most of the work on my test server but might need to try stuff here too, to be sure of what's going on. So if you occasionally see odd things like thanks/likes disappearing completely, try not to panic too much

Comment

There appears to be some kind of refurbishment underway over the road at the kebab shawarma shop. Not clear what; possibly new tables being constructed?

Comment

Lunch: the rest of the crispy duck from the other night. Very nice

And that Irish Customs thing on the box. They sent the dog sniffing over the luggage from a flight, and it didn't find anything, and the Customs officer said "No luck there". But their job is to prevent the things the dog was seeking from coming into the country. So if nobody's tried to smuggle anything, that means they're in luck because they've succeeded in accomplishing their broader mission

Just shows, people in jobs like that get so caught up in the thrill of the chase, they lose sight of the fact that they're supposed to be stopping the chase from ever happening

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

Pharmacy: open. LFTs: none

And a detour via the Amazon Locker to collect a book I ordered just before Christmas, having somehow forgotten that I would be getting a load of books for Christmas. Need more bookshelves

Comment

Working...
                      X