• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea: ribs and chips; the ribs being cooked in the mango chutney-based sauce that I don't make often enough. Delicious

Update on the delivery, narrowing the time down a bit: between 7:46 and 9:01am

I mean, it's nice to have some certainty that it will actually arrive this time, but I think I would have been OK, maybe even happier, with those times suffixed by "pm" instead

Comment

TFBSZ

0 standard rate billing days left this year.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Telly was a bit of some Traffic Cops I'd seen before whilst dining, and then the second part of the thing about Joanna Yeates

And then, I'd forgotten it had started but noticed it by chance: S3E1 of Hanna. More of the same sort of thing so far, but it's OK

Must get to sleep now, ready for my delivery at *checks time of sunrise* about half-an-hour before the crack of dawn

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

I think it's going to be grey out, but it's too dark to tell at the moment; weather app says "foggy" though it isn't

Had a call from the delivery driver at 7:28 to say he'll be here in around half-an-hour; so real soon now

Currently 6°C with 11° planned, 40% chance of a shower or two, barometers decidedly down at 998/1006mB

Delivery should be here any minute now…

Comment

Morning all

The DogTW knows today is Thursday but forgot I was off work, so decided to make sure I was awake earlier.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Very dark.

Very grey.

Very wet.

Very Sunless.

Bit warmer at 13.3 deg in here.

1004 mBar, 29.65 in Hg, 753 Torr, 63% RH.

Thursday going by reports.

Walk (slightly abbreviated) walked in the gloom & ultimately light drizzle.

Road rather busy this morning, no doubt with seekers after Xmas trees and/or turkeys from the farms up the top.

Lunch: A Pukka vegan chicken & mushroom pied (cooked in the oven rather than the microwave to no discernable improvement to be honest), a marmalade & a bramble jelly sandwich, a red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: Ancient Aliens: a programme so unutterably tedious that I fell asleep, followed by 25 seconds of NZ Border Patrol which proved that I was word perfect on this one.

Freecell score: 100% (of 8), running average 84%.

Some minor firkling with some torroidal inductors I discovered last week: rather happily with a bit of rewinding they give 500uH and 560uH which will come in handy if I ever get a round tuit for the radio timecode clock thing 60kHz receiver.

Tea: chilli con carne with rice, some mango slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: "Interpol" on Talking Pictures, being a Rank production for the ITV network back in the 50s from the looks of it.

More tosh about giants on Ancient Aliens. I managed not to fall asleep by dint of great willpower.

Ghosts on BBC1 at 20:30: amusing enough.

Trucking Hell S5 E4 at 21:00 on Paramount: rather a good ep, quite wet in parts.

Not bothering with the car pound thing, it holds little innerest, so it's back to the Ancient Aliens bollox again.

I'll have to start watching a box set or two since there's plainly feck all else of innerest for the next week or so (other than Trucking Hell of course, and maybe Doctor Who at a push).

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 23 December 2021, 22:18.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                Delivery should be here any minute now…
                It arrived!

Although advertised as being in three boxes, it turned out those were contained in one large metabox; certainly too large to stand the remotest chance of getting up the stairs, which are surprisingly narrow for the home of a shoe factory manager (which is who first lived here).

So I had to do the unboxing in the hall, at least from the metabox; which revealed one large, one medium-small, and one tiny box, as expected. The problem then was that the large box was also too big to get up the stairs

And so the Stanley knife was wielded again to take that box to bits. By the time that was done, most of the floor surface of the hall was covered with flattened-out corrugated cardboard box, but I had a bit I could fit up the stairs.

Unfortunately, this was the heaviest bit, and too bulky to even attempt to pick up. So in the end, I had to drag it up the stairs (did I mention they're also rather steep?), causing some degree of discomfort to my back in the process; but finally it was at the top, then up the next two steps at right angles, then the one at right angles again, and could finally be dragged to and through the door of the flat

Then back down to deal with the cardboard. Once again the Stanley knife came in handy, as I gradually sliced the outer and inner boxes into pieces of a size suited to the recycling bin. Turns out ours is full-ish, but there was an empty one out the back; there isn't now

And then I brought the other two boxes up and could finally sit down to drink the cup of coffee I'd put on to brew just before the van arrived. Time from delivery to sitting down: almost exactly one hour

Once I've had a rest, I move on to assembly and, trickiest of all, fitting it in here…

Comment

Morning all

Dull and overcast, dry. Currently 8 degrees with a high of 11 later. Chance of some rain after lunchtime. Barometer dropped to 1010 mBar. Down in Sussex-by-the-sea, it's much the same but 'hazy' instead of 'cloudy'.

Slept much better last night, and am unsurprisingly very hungry this morning. I have to pop up to the Post Office to send off some test parcels before checking the tyre pressures on the car and, finally, hoping the car starts. Maybe I'll do the starting bit first and leave it ticking over while I do the tyres. First though is a spot of breakfast (cocoa shreddies).

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
                  Margaret Hamilton's wicked witch costume catches fire during filming of 'The Wizard of Oz' 1938

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

It arrived!

... a tale to rival the most of epic of sagas ...
                    And, to add insult to injury, I bet your watch won't record any of that effort as 'effort'.

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

No LFTs. Clearly getting there earlier in the day isn't the solution, so we'll have to go for the complete change of government instead

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

And, to add insult to injury, I bet your watch won't record any of that effort as 'effort'.
                      It gave me eight minutes. Eight sodding minutes

Furthermore, although this was recorded on the green ring as "exercise", MyFitnessPal will completely ignore it now I've been for my walk, as it gives preference to "workouts" specifically and discards any incidental exertion once such a "workout" has been recorded

Comment

Working...
                      X