• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy night's sleep, don't feel especially rested
    Funny, but seems little correlation between sleep time and tiredness. Got no sleep till gone 4 last night but don't feel as tired as I did Monday after a fair night's sleep.

Anyway, off to coast shortly with loony lady 1. She'll be telling me, yet again, that my bad night was due to the full moon. I shall disagree and say it was the bedroom fairies.

PS Just checked that the full moon was officially on Tuesday 12.45AM. She won't like FACTS!
    Last edited by xoggoth; 23 September 2021, 10:42.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Another extremely hectic day; although there's a week left, loads of handover and training needs to be done next week so stuff needs to get deployed, at least to staging, ASAP

So I've just submitted a PR which needs to be approved or the rest of the day goes out of the window. Just waiting for it to be held up by questions along the lines of "Why is this commented-out line still here?" and "I once worked with somebody who did this a different way, which I think was better."

(Both of those are real objections that he's raised in the past. The commented-out line of code one almost every time.)

Comment

Lunch was a sweetcorn and coconut chowder accompanied by a couple of slices of corn bread.

Now having a banana which is at the perfect speckly stage

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Another extremely hectic day; although there's a week left, loads of handover and training needs to be done next week so stuff needs to get deployed, at least to staging, ASAP

So I've just submitted a PR which needs to be approved or the rest of the day goes out of the window. Just waiting for it to be held up by questions along the lines of "Why is this commented-out line still here?" and "I once worked with somebody who did this a different way, which I think was better."

(Both of those are real objections that he's raised in the past. The commented-out line of code one almost every time.)
          I would be asking about commented out lines of code - simply because it doesn't pass my "could you (or someone else) understand the code while in a hurry to fix a problem x months down the line" test

When I've done that in the past it's usually with 2 commits (one with the line commented out, the next with the line removed so people know what's happening).
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Extension to the end of the year received.

Comment

Tree surgeons gone (and paid)
              As well as bringing down two large trees, to get to them they cleared some other hedging. We've now got an extra 3 metres of garden.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Tree surgeons gone (and paid)
                As well as bringing down two large trees, to get to them they cleared some other hedging. We've now got an extra 3 metres of garden.

Comment

Lunch: Scotch broth and multiseed bread

The nitpicking has begun, because letting the Delivery Manager get on with the shedload of work she has to do is obviously much less important than the risk of leaving an unused variable in a file that will be executed exactly once during a configuration step and could then be deleted without making any difference whatsoever

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

I would be asking about commented out lines of code - simply because it doesn't pass my "could you (or someone else) understand the code while in a hurry to fix a problem x months down the line" test

When I've done that in the past it's usually with 2 commits (one with the line commented out, the next with the line removed so people know what's happening).
                    I don't have a problem with the principle; but there's somebody who urgently needs this available or they'll be working over the weekend. So the appropriate thing to do would be to say "I'll open a ticket so we remember to go back and tidy up this file when the pressure's eased a bit, but in the meantime, I'll approve this PR that has successfully passed the 411 unit tests and 465 functional tests we have in the system so they can get their work done"

Comment

Nice and warm and sunny down at the coast. Loony lady 1 still not up to long walks but I just dump here at the cafe and stride off.

Don't understand that lack of wind for wind turbines thing, it's always breezy by the sea and the loads of turbines on the horizon were zooming round.
                      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X