• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Would you say QuckSight is the AWS version of MS's Power BI?

Maybe I should take a shifty.
    Not sure, because I don't know what MS Power BI is

There's a QuickSight gallery that'll give you a feel for it: https://aws.amazon.com/quicksight/gallery/

Underlying principles: define one or more datasets, which can use various kinds of data sources (but in our case is a database and some SQL).

Then define a… thing, can't remember the exact term they use, but basically it's one or more displays of information from the dataset(s), which you can do various aggregating things with like counting stuff, summing values, and so on; the various kinds of ways it can be displayed range from tables to all kinds of charts. It's pretty much drag, drop, and occasionally tick a box or type in a label at that stage; oh, and picking colours too.

Finally, publish a dashboard, which is the thing you just made but in a read-only form with a "permanent" URL you can give to people so they can view it. If you later change stuff in the middle bit, those changes will be reflected in the dashboard when you republish it; or you could publish it as a new thing to a different URL and the old one would keep working, I think.

That was about as far as I got today

Comment

Friday night special tea has been one of those thick-cut ribeye steaks, with the usual chips, fried onions, and beans. Lovely stuff

Accompanied by some High Court Enforcement Agent thing on My5, which I assume is the replacement for Can't Pay? We'll Take It Away since that one's brand was tarnished when Ofcom heavily censured them over various matters

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Not sure, because I don't know what MS Power BI is

There's a QuickSight gallery that'll give you a feel for it: https://aws.amazon.com/quicksight/gallery/

Underlying principles: define one or more datasets, which can use various kinds of data sources (but in our case is a database and some SQL).

Then define a… thing, can't remember the exact term they use, but basically it's one or more displays of information from the dataset(s), which you can do various aggregating things with like counting stuff, summing values, and so on; the various kinds of ways it can be displayed range from tables to all kinds of charts. It's pretty much drag, drop, and occasionally tick a box or type in a label at that stage; oh, and picking colours too.

Finally, publish a dashboard, which is the thing you just made but in a read-only form with a "permanent" URL you can give to people so they can view it. If you later change stuff in the middle bit, those changes will be reflected in the dashboard when you republish it; or you could publish it as a new thing to a different URL and the old one would keep working, I think.

That was about as far as I got today
        Yeah that sounds like Power BI but without MS's rubbish licensing model.

Comment

I decided to have a look for swimming lessons this evening and was hoping to find somewhere local, preferably within walking distance, that wasn't one of the many overpriced gyms in the area.

Discovered there's a company who do swimming lessons at the Holiday Inn up the road.

I follow their assessment guide to see what sort of level I might be at to see what type of lessons they would recommend. So far, so good. £56 a lesson but one to one for an hour so I figure that 6-8 weeks of that is not so bad to get me into better habits and technique so that I could take up regular swimming at a public pool.

Then I see that "due to covid" the changing rooms are closed. There is nowhere to change and you are expected to arrive, freshly showered, ready to swim. There are no facilities for drying off or changing out of your costume after the lesson other than the opportunity to wipe the worst off by the side of the pool. So, I'm thinking, where do I put my clothes? Am I expected to shower at home and walk up the road wearing nothing but my swimming costume? Do they expect me to walk home dripping wet afterwards?

I'd like to get back into swimming but I sure as hell am not going to leave my belongings unsecured, nor am I going to stroll the streets in just my cossie and I most certainly am not going to walk home sopping wet afterwards.

Snotty note sent to the company after checking guidelines on gov.uk which do not state closure of changing rooms as a legal requirement, just management of capacity and good cleaning regimes. Then I complained about it HWMBO who said this was normal and then stopped talking to me because I wanted to rant and he didn't want to listen.

I then spent a disproportionate amount of time looking at what other swimming locations were saying about changing rooms and not one stated they were closed. Sadly those others either don't do adult lessons, are too far away, are currently out of lesson term time, or are the overpriced gyms I wanted to avoid.

I did find a lot of private tutors who will come to your house and teach you in your own pool. Something to bear in mind next time the kitchen floods.

Comment

This afternoon's wittering about XSLT inspired me to rewatch The Matrix which continues to be very good, presumably because the machines want us to think it's just a film

And as I was thus in Keanu mode, I then rewatched John Wick. Well worth killing a puppy for a film like that

Finally, a bit more of The Americans, being S5E8 Immersion (TV Episode 2017). I now find myself watching for aspects of their tradecraft and general lifestyle relevant to what I've learned from Russians Among Us, some more of which I read earlier

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Blue skies are giving way to dark clouds down here.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning.

Grey.

Wet.

Intermittently torrential.

Cooler at 19.8 deg in here.

Sunless.

Windy, so horizontal rain to boot.

991 mBar, 29.26 in Hg, 66% RH.

Saturday.

The wireless is very firmly turned "OFF".

Freecell score in the continuing deluge: 79% , running average 84%.

Lunch: Heinz pea & ham soup with Morrisons wholemeal sunflower and spelt bread, bramble jelly sandwich on same, a red corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Freecell score in the afternoon deluge: 84% (out of 91 plays), running average 84% (84.09something% doing ever so fecking well at the moment with much cursing).

Tea: fiery bol with spag, some peach slices, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: some nonsense on Blaze about, you guessed it, UFOs.

They were showing the Oak Island nutjobs yesterday afternoon.

I did attempt to watch the Jesse Stone thing on 5USA yesterday evening, but it didn't really grab my attention, so it got turned off.

Barometer now showing 995 mBar, 29.38 in Hg.

Entertainment: the last half of City Slickers II: the legend of Curly's Gold.

Feck it's been a while since I watched that.

I see that the fist of those Bruce Willis one day wonders is on this evening: to whit: "The Prince (2014)" (4.5*).

I think I'll give it a miss.

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 August 2021, 19:10.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

Dull and wet today. It's been raining for hours. Currently 14 degrees with a high of 19 expected. Rain off and on all day. Chance of thunderstorms this morning. Barometer still at 998 mBar.

I was supposed to go to the Classic Car Boot Sale up at Granary Square behind Kings Cross but it's not going to be fun in this weather so I'll give it a miss.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
                  Oliver Hardy, comedian and one half of Laurel and Hardy, dies 1957

Comment

Just remembered to pop up the road & get a birthday card for the grand daughter. Lucky we've got a little Costcutter in our village, save me hassle of driving into town. Lazy old git.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Just remembered to pop up the road & get a birthday card for the grand daughter. Lucky we've got a little Costcutter in our village, save me hassle of driving into town. Lazy old git.
                      I have a box of cards for birthdays and such like. I buy them at random times and find them funny, suitable on that day. By the time it comes to sending them, I don't like them and have to dash about finding a replacement.

Comment

Working...
                      X