• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    A bit like that bloke watching the green characters scrolling down and seeing what's going on in the Matrix
    Got one of those in my company.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      There's even a thunderstorm symbol in the 1700 hour but I'll believe that when I see it.
      Well that was either a building falling down or I just heard a rumble...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

yep currently importing xml for one project. it isn't bad but so few people can get their head round it.
        Especially namespaces. "Which namespace is that in?" "No namespace." "Ah, is that like being in the default namespace?" "No, that's different."

Comment

Especially namespaces. "Which namespace is that in?" "No namespace." "Ah, is that like being in the default namespace?" "No, that's different."
          yep its a bit counter intuitive.

Done loads of stuff parsing YAML which is fun.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

My recent work has finally been merged into master (it should be called main really, but for this app we have to fork from a repository that hasn't been brought into line with modern sensibilities yet).

The other dev is exceedingly thorough about reviewing pull requests. This is generally fine, and he does catch a lot of stuff like commented-out code left over from debugging that has no place being merged, but he sometimes also gets into what I regard as tremendously nitpicking arguments about stuff that doesn't matter in the slightest, and will hold up a PR for several days on those grounds.

The project management people just wanted this PR merged ASAP so they know it's ready to be shown to TPTB who'll decide whether we should switch to QuickSite. I'd created the PR yesterday, in full knowledge of this fact. This afternoon, as he went back for his third round of reviewing and started asking questions about something which I know from exhaustive experiment is absolutely required for the highly-constrained production environment but which he couldn't see the need for (because he didn't spend hours tracking it down like I did), I just told him it didn't matter, it's working code, and could we just merge it as they wanted it immediately, if not before

So he then pointed out a big chunk of commented out CSS he himself had left in a previous commit that I'd just merged in (which he acknowledged was his fault, to be fair) and asked me to get rid of it and then he'd approve it

Then we went into a meeting with a chap from the data team who gave us a quick fire course in QuickSight, which was an hour well spent in my view; I shared my screen and he took me through the essential parts of the process from starting with a SQL query to publishing a dashboard with multiple visualisations. Quite good fun, and I won't mind too much if TPTB do decide to go that way

So that took until about half five, at which point I checked and he'd approved the PR. I noticed on Teams that he'd definitively logged out by then. Meanwhile, I got to merge the PR, then deploy the new master branch and check it was all working, and update the rest of the team about the fact that it was done

And with that, I am done for the day, and for the week

Comment

For dinner, I had a bit of pasta accompanied by the sauce Nigella Lawson uses for her "slut's spaghetti" along with some exceptionally garlicy garlic bread. No vampires are going to get me this evening.

Interestingly, if you google sluts spaghetti, Nigella's web result says the word slut but when you click the link, it changes to slattern. Political correctness gone mad, I tell yea

Comment

Then we went into a meeting with a chap from the data team who gave us a quick fire course in QuickSight, which was an hour well spent in my view; I shared my screen and he took me through the essential parts of the process from starting with a SQL query to publishing a dashboard with multiple visualisations. Quite good fun, and I won't mind too much if TPTB do decide to go that way
                Would you say QuckSight is the AWS version of MS's Power BI?

Maybe I should take a shifty.

Comment

Google Street View has one of those weird pixelated columns just down my road. Second weirdest thing in the road after me standing behind my old van.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    For dinner, I had a bit of pasta accompanied by the sauce Nigella Lawson uses for her "slut's spaghetti" along with some exceptionally garlicy garlic bread. No vampires are going to get me this evening.

Interestingly, if you google sluts spaghetti, Nigella's web result says the word slut but when you click the link, it changes to slattern. Political correctness gone mad, I tell yea
                    Nigella can be my slattern any day! Though I'm a little young for her.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I can understand scams but why do people send nonsensical emails with no links? Just got one:

Far end not horses remain sister Separate entrance welcomed sensible laughing why one moderate shy Winding morning am shyness evident to ....

bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                      X