• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

The thing people seem to have a real problem with is that the cloud is someone else's computer connected via your probably limited internet pipe.

Key things are it may be a big computer but they charge per cycle. The price rises will be like boiling lobsters, raise the temperature slowly enough and the Lobster doesn't realise he is for lunch.

Easy way to avoid it is to use so few cycles they forget you are in the bucket.

Also security frequently stops at the server because once its out people export it to excel and send it out without a clue.

And of course you want to do it properly so no one blames you later.

All of this stuff is only accessible within the VPN anyway, and any cost compared to the department's overall AWS bill is going to be negligible. The thing he really had a problem with is that he doesn't like writing SQL, I think.

Meanwhile, one of the department's data analysts was asked for demonstration purposes to copy-and-paste my SQL query, and they had a visualisation of the data up on one of their internal platforms within minutes. For the other stuff that grabs whole tables and builds the data with Pandas: not so much

Comment

Rain's stopped, but apparently it'll be back again in forty minutes or so. Better get my walk started!

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

I was persistently drizzled on for the second mile

Still, it wasn't cold so it was quite refreshing if anything

Comment

And the recycling bin got a trundling as I was heading out

Comment

Torrential rain out there now

It's quite enjoyable to watch from in here

Comment

Showers off and on still.

Dinner was chicken casserole and chips from the freezer, as I need to make room ahead of shopping being delivered tomorrow.

I like SQL it feels intuitive. I only know basic stuff but I at least know to do a bit better than SELECT * with no WHERE clause. I suppose if I applied myself I'd probably do quite well with it.

Comment

Haven't used a database since dBase II was a thing.

I think the 5.25" diskettes with it on have rotted.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Used Dbase in a contract once. Use MySQLi on small business website but nowt very complex.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Tea has been chicken balti with rice and naan. Very nice

The rain keeps stopping, then coming down at the rate of a monthly average a minute, then stopping again. Currently stopped

Comment

Some more of Russians Among Us read, and then I watched some paramedic thing on My5

Early night now with the usual vague plan of getting the walk and inwards trundling done first thing tomorrow. Looks like I'll probably get wet, but I live for pleasure alone

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X