• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trundling done

Comment

Originally posted by Spock
      To hunt a species to extinction is not logical.
      Originally posted by Dr. Gillian Taylor
      Whoever said the human race was logical?
      Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Cool at 18.9 deg in here.

1021 mBar, 30.15 in Hg, 64% RH.

Friday.

Smalls in the WM.

Smalls out of the WM and into the TD.

Shirts in the WM.

<hiatus>

Walk walked along my new route.

Warm enough.

Smalls out of the TD & airing in the front bedroom.

Shirts out of the WM and into the TD.

Cottons in the WM.

'Tis all go this morning.

In other news, due to the BH, the bins were emptied this morning.

However, due to a lack of motivation, I didn't bother putting anything out.

The Refuse Disposal and Recycling Engineers still managed to wake me up.

Shirts out of the TD.

Cottons out of the WM and into the TD.

Lunch: scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons malted bread toast, bramble jelly sandwich on same x 2, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: "Pimpernel Smith (1941)" with that Leslie Howard.

Rather enjoyable.

All the way through I though the Fat Herman character was von Braun, but he was actually von Graum.

I think I need to syringe my ears.

Cottons out of the TD.

Shirts duly iRoned and hanging from the picture rail in the bedroom airing.

A chap claiming to be a copper (plainclothes) just asked if I'd noticed any miscreants around there having been some sort of burglary a couple of doors up.

As is usual, I know nothing.

Entertainment after tea: Discovering Eli Wallach on Sky Arts.

And very good it was too.

Almost tempted to watch "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly(1966)".

DS9 S7 E24 "The Dogs of War".

DS9 S7 E25 Part 1.

Didn't enjoy either of those particularly.

How my tastes have changed over the last 20 years.

Freecell score: 93%, running average 84% (83.9%).

A thing about guitars on BBC4 which was mildly diverting once it got to stuff I can remember, then went past that into stuff I've never listened to ever.

TFBSDrS.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 4 June 2021, 22:44.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Walk briskly walked, green ring closed

Incorporating a detour via the Amazon Locker for some USB-C to USB-A adapters so I can plug in the magnetic charger thing I got for the phone

Said phone having somehow reverted the watch to metric rather than Imperial measurements, meaning it kept telling me how many kilometres I'd walked

To be fair, once I was home and found the setting to change on the phone, the watch immediately updated the figures it was displaying

Anyway, that's done meaning I can go to Sainsbury's this evening if I so choose, and now I've got to guzzle lunch (leftover BBQ chicken thigh and a medium-sized sausage roll) down quickly as I ought to be back at work really

Recycling bin hadn't been done but they're in the neighbourhood, so I'll pop down and check again in a bit

Comment

Much rain here. It started around 9.15 am and has barely paused.

I got engrossed in some actual work and realised I'd not had lunch! Foraging now will be my next task.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Much rain here. It started around 9.15 am and has barely paused.

I got engrossed in some actual work and realised I'd not had lunch! Foraging now will be my next task.
            I've been keeping an eye on it on the weather radar. It seems to have been heading up from the south coast in a steady stream, passing over London and continuing north, then fizzling out completely a few miles south of here. Nice and sunny out now

Comment

I've spent a good chunk of this week tracking down one of the most obscure bugs I've seen in quite a while. It eventually turned out to be the result of the normal interaction between the application server gunicorn and the web app framework Django; specifically, it arose from the fact that a Django view class definition is executed by gunicorn when it starts, so any values initialised within the view class itself get their values then, but when the view is used to respond to a request, the view's various methods are called but the class definition itself is not re-executed, so such values persist with those initial values. And that's why a view that was supposed to notice on Tuesday that it was June 1st thought that the previous month was still April

And because it's due to that interaction, there's no way any of our tests could have caught it. Only testing against an actual live deployment would reveal it. And as any updates to the code cause the entire thing to be reloaded after those changes have been pulled down, the problem went away as soon as a new PR was merged on GitHub, leaving me with nothing to test against except a database dump I'd luckily grabbed, but which of course didn't exhibit the same behaviour locally, as it was on a newly-loaded instance then

Still can't quite believe I worked it out TBH

Of course, now the PR for the (one-line) fix is being held up because I had to construct some really weird tests that work at a very low level to avoid any side effects from the rest of the framework clouding the issue, and the chap originally responsible for the code that was failing is arguing that a slightly different syntax for the same testing functionality looks nicer. The tests pass, they test what they're supposed to, and it doesn't matter a damn what they read like as nobody will ever look at them again now that very specific, very obscure problem has been fixed. And it's not even clear that some of the hairy stuff I'm doing in these tests is actually possible with that alternative syntax. And, come to that, the tests wouldn't even prevent the problem; they simply prove that if given the wrong info, it will fail as expected
              Last edited by NickFitz; 4 June 2021, 16:58.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                I've spent a good chunk of this week tracking down one of the most obscure bugs I've seen in quite a while...

lots of stuff

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Pretty much how I felt when I first thought of it, and I then had to explain it two or three times to the other devs because it's all far from obvious how it works or, in this case, doesn't

Comment

I just went and rearranged the contents of the freezer, this being the best way to free up space. Except it didn't - it's tidier in there now, but just as full as it was when I started. So I won't bother with Sainsbury's after all. There's nothing I need urgently, and I should get through a load of this stuff if I don't get any more stuff

There are worse problems to have though

Speaking of which, I've decided to upgrade my iMac to the latest version of MacOS, which means skipping a major version in between that I never bothered with. I'm doing it now as that gives me the entire weekend to try to get it all working again if things go horribly wrong; I need it for work on Monday

Comment

Need a new bin for the kitchen now. I stepped on the pedal and all the screws that hold the mechanism for lifting the top exploded out of said mechanism and fell down inside the inner plastic bit. Attempting a repair, I discovered that the plastic of the mechanism has apparently corroded or worn out or something, so there's now about two-and-a-half screws with any grip. It works for now, but it's clearly going to fall definitively to bits any day

Can't decide whether to venture to B&Q or Homebase or somewhere, or order one off Amazon. Or I could see if the hardware guy over the road has one among the plastic buckets and stuff that he puts out on the pavement every day

Comment

Working...
                      X