• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to remember a short segment I heard on the radio that I only half paid attention to that I want to properly listen to. I thought it was on this week but, having gone through the R4 schedule on BBC Sounds, maybe it was last week. I thought it was on You and Yours but now am not sure.

It doesn't help that I can't quite remember what it was about and am relying on seeing a key word in the description that will make me go 'aha! that's it!'

Comment

Tea, finally, was reheated leg and wing and a bit of breast of the Big Chicken, with chips and ketchup

Need to make soup this weekend, which means I need to eat loads of stuff out of the freezer so there's room for it

Comment

First up on the mirror of illusions tonight was a rewatch of Mad Max (1979), which I enjoyed more this time because I understood that they had to make it on a budget of about fourteen shillings and threepence, and for that price they did a phenomenal job

But then I figured if we're after special effects and vengeance, why not rewatch Batman Begins (2005) so I did; but as they've been too cheap to subtitle it, I used the Apple EarThings (can't remember the real name) for it, and they're great for stuff like this

And then The Shield S3E14 All In (TV Episode 2004) which is one of those episodes where the previously on… bit is harsher than most cop shows manage in eight series, and then the actual episode takes you further and then a good deal further than that

Goodnight all

Comment

I first saw Mad Max (1979) in the Castle Cinema in Swansea.

Since it was dubbed into Septic, I spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out why they were driving on the left.

The dvd has a language option that allows one to appreciate the original Oz.

Morning.

Dry.

Grey.

Sunless though it seems to be getting a bit brighter.

Warmer at 18.4 deg in here.

1023 mBar, 30.2 in Hg, 61% RH.

Saturday judging by the burbling on the wireless.

<hiatus>

Walk walked, before which I was admiring the plenitude of false dandelions gracing my front lawn.

Which was just as well since some oik in a blue BMW roared up along the pavement & parked about 15 yards further.

He'd have creamed me had I been walking on the pavement.

If only I'd had that Taurus 44 mag handy.

The walk was made irritating by the collection of oiks in cars driving up the road, whilst it was made more pleasant by the calls of the cuckoo yet again.

There's some sort of roundabouty fun fair thing going on in the grounds, which was slightly unexpected.

Lunch: Heinz tomato soup with a hint of chilli plus Morrisons wholemeal sunflower & spelt bread, bramble jelly on Morrisons sunflower & pumpkin seed bread, a red pippy corner yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Oh, and it's getting darker by the minute.

<hiatus>

Freecell score: 86%, running average 84% (83.898%).

Damn thing slipped in one of those difficult ones and I cocked up another one due to a sudden rush of blood to the head. Or something.

It's still grey & dark.

Tea: the penultimate (fingers crossed) minced lamb bol with spag, some tinned fruit (undetermined at this time: fruit cocktail), a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: "A beautiful day in the neighbourhood(2019)" with that Tom Hanks.

I wondered wtf it was all about to start with but it soon becomes plain: it's about Mr Rogers who made children's tv progs back in the day in Septicland.

Inneresting enough in a strange way, Matthew Rhys turns out to come from Cardiff.

There's tidy then: half a dark & a Mars bar, boyo.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 May 2021, 22:10.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Morning all

There's a fair bit of cloud but it's bright and dry out. Currently 17 degrees with a high of 20 later. No rain expected. Barometer up to 1025 mBar.

Due to items not being available (no yum yums!) my Waitrose delivery charge has ended up being less than the minimum spend. I am going through a 'must eat all the yum yums' phase at the moment so it's probably for the best that they were out of stock.

Today's Kantar diary fact is:
            Bing Crosby records Irving Berlin's 'White Christmas' 1942

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny day out, currently 19°C and possibly going to reach 20° before bouncing back, barometers up at 1017/1025mB

My dad seems to have improved a great deal, though not as much as he thinks he has; apparently he was telling my sister that he really sees no reason why he can't go home today, but when she spoke to the medics they saw things differently

But at least he's reasonably compos mentis, which is a great improvement on this time yesterday

Comment

Afternoon!

well, since today is the first day of the rest of my life, we’ve decided to avoid the hordes this weekend and go camping somewhere from Tuesday.

I fancy a bit of the seaside myself...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Waitrose delivery arrived 47 minutes afterthe end of the hour slot I had booked. The chap was very apologetic and said he'd been running behind since 8 am. Another delivery turned up within the time slot estimated in the notification email received this morning. A third delivery hasn't shown up yet and, when I clicked the tracking link, I discover "delivery delayed, please allow 1-2 days" so that's not arriving today then.

So having potted up a few plants, but not the tomatoes, I will now toddle up to Waitrose to collect my John Lewis order. You may wonder why I didn't do the shop at Waitrose, instead of getting it delivered, if I'm going there anyway. Too much to carry home, essentially. It's only a 5 minute walk up the road but the combined shop and JL order would be difficult to carry back and driving that distance is just wrong (plus a lack of parking).

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Afternoon!

well, since today is the first day of the rest of my life, we’ve decided to avoid the hordes this weekend and go camping somewhere from Tuesday.

I fancy a bit of the seaside myself...
                    Have you retired?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Have you retired?
                      Yep!
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X