• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I truly believe that launching Google* and forgetting what you were going to search for is the modern equivalent of walking from one room to another and forgetting why (although I still do that too).

* other search engines are available
    Yes, that happens a lot to me

Rain’s here; this is probably a Good Thing, because with a bit of luck it gets it over with before I go shopping

Comment

Public service announcement: the structural integrity of Digestive biscuits is severely undermined by prolonged exposure to tea.

---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Effing Power BI is doing my head in!

I have been waiting 10 minutes for it to finish calculating:
        = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Pax_PostB5JEligible", each if [PostB5JEligible] = null then 0 else Number.Round(([TotalPassengerCount]-[TransferPassengerCount])*[PostB5JEligible]))

It's only calculating against every flight since 2017...
        The damn thing is still picking the fluff out of its navel. Very vexing as I need to get this one thing done before I finish today

Comment

Floss flossed.

100% on the morning's Freecell. 82% running average as per normal.

First load out of the WM and into the TD.

Shirts in and out of the WM, awaiting the TD.

Coloureds in the WM.

The TD has been indicating "5 Minutes" for the last 20 minutes.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I'm no techie, but what should the punishment be for hard-coding values rather than using variables?
            mad:
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              I'm no techie, but what should the punishment be for hard-coding values rather than using variables?
              mad:
              Depends.

Are the values in binary, octal, decimal or hex?

I well remember a contract where the code was stuffed with 0x1234 and the like.

I turned it down*.

In other news, the cottons are out of the TD and the shirts now reside therein.

*That was the contract where the HR woman was waffling on about the wonders of the company, all of which were completely irrelevant to a contractor. An hour later I was gone.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 January 2020, 13:20.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The damn thing is still picking the fluff out of its navel. Very vexing as I need to get this one thing done before I finish today
                Ever done that thing of setting something running, waiting half-an-hour, killing it, inserting a log-to-console or some such inside so you can at least know it hasn’t crashed, then starting it again?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  mad:
                  Fun fact: in FORTH, you could define numeric constants as words and they executed slightly faster than including them as literal values. 0, 1, -1 were already defined by the system, and you could define your own - though of course it made more sense to give them a meaningful name. But this meant that you could do things like

Code:
                  ( place 99 on the stack whenever the sequential characters 100 are encountered by the parser after the following definition )
                  : 100 99 ;
                  if you were in a particularly evil mood (or just thoroughly incompetent)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Ever done that thing of setting something running, waiting half-an-hour, killing it, inserting a log-to-console or some such inside so you can at least know it hasn’t crashed, then starting it again?
                    I went and had a shower and it was done when I came back

I was on the verge of turning it off and on again.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      Depends.

Are the values in binary, octal, decimal or hex?

I well remember a contract where the code was stuffed with 0x1234 and the like.

I turned it down*.

In other news, the cottons are out of the TD and the shirts now reside therein.

*That was the contract where the HR woman was waffling on about the wonders of the company, all of which were completely irrelevant to a contractor. An hour later I was gone.
                      The value is decimal.
                      Standard code allows a variable to go 1-100. The company rarely needs > 20, so to satisfy part of the business, one year ago they hard coded the maximum value to 20 without thinking or asking.
                      Now a separate part of the business, where the value frequently goes above 20, is asking why their process doesn't work.
                      The non-techie me had to look at the code (which was undocumented) to confirm that the setup was not a configurable variable.
                      I advised the PM of last year's project of the problem. His immediate response was:
                      1. I didn't know what I was talking about,
                      2. It wasn't his fault,
                      3. Two others with less tech ability than me needed to review my findings.

One of the others was already aware of the problem - in fact it was him who asked me to look into it.
                      The other one is a rather cocky kid who replied with "I don't think it should be hard coded, I don't know why it's hard coded, I DID NOT WRITE THE SPEC"
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X