• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Chips brought successfully through Phase I of preparation

I've missed decent homemade (by me) chips.
    What is your recipe?

Comment

Dinner has been served, and exceedingly nice it was: roast gammon, with chips, pineapple slices, fried egg, and beans

My portion control seems to be a little off whack, as it turned out to be easily enough for three people. But I managed with just the one of me in the end

Comment

Watching Little Women

First book I remember crying over. I was probably about seven. I spent a long time (probably about three hours) trying to be as virtuous and good as Beth, before deciding it was impossible.

Even though I knew it was set in America, in my seven year old head they never had American accents.

Probably have read it at least twice since then. Still weird to hear the accents.

Edit: before you wonder at my choice of reading material as a young child, I grew up in SA, and we had no telly, so I was getting through six books a week from the library. Although I think my mother might have read it to me in the first instance.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          What is your recipe?
          Start with a quality spud - I recommend Maris Pipers grown in Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, or Lincolnshire. Peel and slice as desired, then parboil, starting from cold water to which about a dessert spoon of clear refined malt vinegar has been added. (The vinegar isn't for flavouring, it's for inhibiting one of the chemical reactions that can cause them to break down during parboiling.) I usually time it by the simple process of bringing the (lidded) pan to the boil, then filling the kettle and keeping them at a simmer for as long as that takes to come to the boil. Tip the chips out into a colander, and use the water from the kettle to rinse away any starchy foam that remains.

Once shaken and so forth to lose as much water as possible, spread out on kitchen roll on baking tray, or similar, and leave out to dry as much as possible.

Heat the deep fat fryer to 160ºC, and fry until the surface is just starting to acquire some colour and is on the verge of starting to become crispy. (If necessary, you can do this step in multiple batches.)

Shake off as much oil as you can, and again spread out on a tray on kitchen roll. This time, also put a layer of kitchen roll on top, and press it down so you absorb as much surface oil as possible.

(If you want to finish some to eat now, set them aside and skip the next step for them.)

Once they've cooled to room temperature, put them in the freezer for a few hours. Once frozen, they can be shaken or peeled from the kitchen roll and bagged up.

To finish them, either from frozen or having been set aside before freezing: heat the fryer to 190ºC, and fry for as long as it takes for them to assume the correct golden hue and level of delicious crispiness.

Sorted

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Need to go and deliver a parcel...
            making ends meet delivering for a parcel company?

didn't think it was getting that bad!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I'm still a bit low on the old haemoglobin, so I've been advised to build up the exercise gradually

I think I should probably eat nothing but steak for a week or two, just to help things along
              IIRC, there's a disgusting orangey flavoured liquid that claims to boost your iron levels. There is a review on amazon by a guy who didn't just say "this is amazing, I felt so much better", but had blood tests to measure his levels, and concluded that it had helped.

Will see if I can dig out.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                IIRC, there's a disgusting orangey flavoured liquid that claims to boost your iron levels. There is a review on amazon by a guy who didn't just say "this is amazing, I felt so much better", but had blood tests to measure his levels, and concluded that it had helped.

Nope, no joy. DYOR.

Comment

Nope, no joy. DYOR.
                  I've still got a vast amount of ferrous fumarate tablets to be going on with

Comment

eat lots of black pudding and spinach, washed down with guiness, - much more enjoyable than supplements IMMHO

Comment

It's supposed to be snowing now, but looking out of the window, it still looks like it's just cold rain

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X