• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post

:-O
    Are Nissan 350z locking nuts "special"?

I thought "locking" wheel nuts were basically nuts/bolts without a standard Hex-head (but with some odd-shaped cutouts that fit to an adapter - allowing for the nut/bolt to be tightened/loosened)

and that removing them (without the correct adapter) was "just" a case of drilling a pilot hole and then using a tapered "reverse" thread gizmo to loosen them enough (obviously buggering the nut/bolt in the process). A big-boy version of damaged screw removing tool you can get in DIY stores!

I know, many years ago, when MrsD "lost" her adapter and suffered a puncture that's how they did it, it may even have been done 'roadside'.

Unless of course I am just showing my dinosaur age and things are more hi-tech now?

As to replacements - Halfords?
    No idea! My car is a 2004 model so hardly high tech.

My local Kwik Fit, who are pretty decent, said they didn't have the tools to get the nuts off without a key so told me to contact a different branch who quoted £150 to remove and refit. This is the same price as quoted by a local Nissan branded garage (the guy in that garage thought a local tyre fitter would be cheaper, so maybe I need to find an independent).

I also don't know if all wheel nuts and threads are common across all marques of car so I need to be sure that the set I buy will fit. The search facility on the Halfords website says they don't have wheel bolts that fit my car. Apparently Nissan use a particular manufacturer of these things, according to what I've seen on the 350z forums.

Comment

The car was successfully jump started and driven to J5 of the M4 and back. That ought to be enough for it to start on Sunday but I'm recharging the battery pack just in case.

Of course, all the stations on the radio have been wiped (why can't they have a little ROM chip that holds the info?) and now I have to look up the manual yet again to remind myself how you search for DAB stations.

I put a towel wash on before I went out and that has now been draped about the airer.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

No idea! My car is a 2004 model so hardly high tech.

My local Kwik Fit, who are pretty decent, said they didn't have the tools to get the nuts off without a key so told me to contact a different branch who quoted £150 to remove and refit. This is the same price as quoted by a local Nissan branded garage (the guy in that garage thought a local tyre fitter would be cheaper, so maybe I need to find an independent).

I also don't know if all wheel nuts and threads are common across all marques of car so I need to be sure that the set I buy will fit. The search facility on the Halfords website says they don't have wheel bolts that fit my car. Apparently Nissan use a particular manufacturer of these things, according to what I've seen on the 350z forums.
        Yeah - I assumed a Nissan 350 wasn't bleeding edge......

Gobsmacked that Kwik-Fit &/or Nissan wanna charge that much!!

One method is to use a Socket slightly smaller than the "head" (assuming not a rotating/spinning collar) hammer it on, with a big-ole lump hammer and then loosen using that (still buggers the old one).

Replacement is another matter - unfortunately they are far from 1-size-fits-all.

Thread-size, diameter, bolt length etc all variables......

So the replacement will, possibly be the main issue.. although (if you can get them off) you could, at least temporarily replace them with bog-normal(non-locking nuts/bolts). Obviously still need the correct size - but bog-normal bolts are, I suspect, more readily available at short notice.

I dunno how much of a risk it'd be some scrote trying to 1/2-inch your alloys during the few weeks you didn't have locking nuts.
        I dunno how much of a risk it is for some scrote to 1/2-inch alloys at all nowadays!

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post

Thread-size, diameter, bolt length etc all variables......
          M12 x 1.25 nuts. the threads are attached to the hub. 4 new locking nuts is part KE40989951:
          https://shop.nissan.co.uk/products/n...set-ke40989951
          (other options are available on FleaBay)

A replacement key can be bought from Hopkins, provided you have the code:
          https://www.glynhopkinpartsonline.co...farad-faradkey
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

M12 x 1.25 nuts. the threads are attached to the hub. 4 new locking nuts is part KE40989951:
            https://shop.nissan.co.uk/products/n...set-ke40989951
            (other options are available on FleaBay)

A replacement key can be bought from Hopkins, provided you have the code:
            https://www.glynhopkinpartsonline.co...farad-faradkey
            And the code appears to be on a sticker in the glovebox..
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

£150 from Halfrauds, or <£80 from CUK.
              Even by the time we add on my commission, that's still going to be £10 cheaper.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Lunch: ham toasties

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

There isn't a glovebox on the 350z but there is a lockable storage box behind the passenger seat. Just popped out to see if there was a code and guess what I found! The key! I guess the garage put it there when they did the service last week instead of back in the central console cubby hole and I assumed it had been nicked because the cubby hole was opened and empty and the storage box is always locked.

Thanks eek, you just saved me a decent amount of money.

I owe you a beer next time I see you.
                  Last edited by ladymuck; 22 December 2023, 15:44.

Comment

Oh and while I'm here

Comment

I'll pick up a little zen

Comment

Working...
                      X