• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite variable weather today; it's currently reasonably pleasant though with a lot of big clouds, though I gather it'll get horrid again later

I found a website about this neighbourhood which has a list of events going on in the park this year. Quite a lot it turns out, and that doesn't include the one I got the letter about, as that was saying they're applying for permission for it. But as far as all-dayers go there's the Caribbean Carnival in August and Pride in September, and there are a fair few other events that are afternoon only

Comment

Should be some good food on offer at the Caribbean Carnival

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Should be some good food on offer at the Caribbean Carnival
        Yes, it's always good. I haven't been in years but as it's only a few hundred yards away now, maybe I'll drop in this year

In the meantime, tea has been a roast Big Chicken dinner, which was very nice indeed

Comment

Very windy again.

TFBSZ
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The car earlier was a Ford Fiesta XR2, which rejoiced in the same pepper pot alloys that the Super Monkey Car has. Currently SORN but its MOT only ran out about three weeks ago, so maybe there's hope for it yet

And some of the gold diggers finally found the real stuff: huge nuggets worth hundreds of thousands of AUS$

And later, an old episode of 24 Hours in A&E

One of the patients had fallen off a horse, which reminded me that during the family gathering at the weekend, my mother recalled an old friend who fell off a horse and badly injured himself. They were visiting us at the time and he and his kids had come riding with us, and he went over his horse's head when we were cantering along a verge and it tripped over a drainage gully hidden by long grass. As this was the 1970s and we had no concept of health and safety, he just got back on and continued the ride, and they finished their holiday with us and went home, which included him driving his family back to near Warrington, about 140 miles. After a week or so his neck was still very sore so he went to the hospital, where they discovered he'd broken three cervical vertebrae and nobody could explain why he wasn't dead from going about his normal business in that state

Thinking about it, I'd gone riding for the first time when they were visiting a couple of years before and didn't want to miss their regular weekly ride. They weren't the kind of people you'd expect to be horsey types, mind; he was a foreman in a factory on Merseyside. I rode regularly for several years, until the stables closed down and six days a week of school got in the way of finding anywhere else to ride

Anyway, once I was done recollecting all that, I read some more of Ra

Getting windy again now I think, with a bit of rain

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
              Clear skies after the storm.

New bit of ginger has been planted.
              Next loaf of bread is under way
              Busy morning so far, and none of it was billable.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Morning denizens

The storm has passed leaving clear blue skies in its wake. Currently 6°C with an expected high of 11°, and the barometers are back up a bit at 986/994mB

I had a better night's sleep, with some strange but not unpleasant dreams. One involved being at some kind of leaving do with a bunch of permies, possibly in my honour, though it's an unusual thing to do for a contractor. Anyway, it was taking place in what seemed to be a rather ramshackle hospital ward, and was catered with a buffet consisting entirely of biscuits - a whole range, from plates of normal ones like Jammie Dodgers to trays filled with plate-sized chocolate cookies with a strange-coloured icing on top. All the permies had fallen asleep on the beds and I was able to fill several very large goodie bags with the whole range of biscuits before taking my leave, at which point I awoke. Sadly, there weren't any biscuits in real life, but it still felt like an epic win and I soon got back to sleep again

Comment

Morning all

Sunny, mostly clear sky with lumps of fluff scurrying along in the wind. Currently 9 degrees ('feels like' 7) with a high of 12 expected. Slight chance of a shower around lunchtime. Barometer up a bit to 1003 mBar.

Today I am not enjoying being peri-menopausal. I've had sore boobs for a month and now I feel like I've been kicked in both the belly and the kidneys. At least my periods only seem to occur quarterly and that interval is getting longer and longer.

Comment

Morning.

Thursday apparently.

I've never dreamed of biscuits. Woke at 03:33. And several times thereafter, until the radio went on & dozed all the way through Today until 08:45.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue Simpsonsesque sky.

Chilly in here at 12 deg, 12.5 deg in the kitchen, 11 deg in the leanto.

1000.5 mBar, 29.544748 in Hg, 750.436 Torr, 14.511 psi, (up from 996 last night, up from 985 in the afternoon), 74% RH (GDR hair), 69% RH (Lidl electric).

Meanwhile on the 23rd of May 2019 there was much tiredness, discussion of hayfever, discussion of hayfever tablets and cold remedies, but, heroically enough, NF was making chicken stock.

Shopping trip to Tesco done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away. 204 out (well it was there), 38 back (had to wait 10 minutes).

Shopping trip to Morrisons done dusted washed dried sanitised & put away.

Oh look, it's sunny.

Oh look, it's dark dank dreary wet sunless rain hail & murrain of beasts.

Oh look it's sunny again.

Rinse & repeat ad infinitum.

Almost all the bonfire had been consumed apart from the odd bit here & there that'll keep for next time.

Lunch: Morrisons steak & kidney short crust pie with baked beans, it was pretty meh to be honest, & expensive despite being reduced, bramble jelly & marmalade on 3 slices of Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast, red pippy corner yog, 0.91*1.53 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertaiment: the last 5 minutes of Toast followed by TWATO.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the sunshine.

The bonfire relit itself and consumed those odds & ends I put in there earlier.

Tea: chilli con carne with rice, the sojourn in the freezer has improved the zing, some mango slices, a yog, 0.91*1.55 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: PM waffling on about stuff.

Wheeler Dealers S11 E2: 1996 Porsche 993, nice enough if you like that sort of thing, last of the air cooled ones so no bore score there then, bought: £12k, total: £, sold: £19k5.

Typical Porsche attitude to customer service: oh, I'm so sorry sir that £15 bit of plastic isn't available as a spare, would you like to spend £800 on the entire fecking manifold.

MOT ran out Jan 2021. SORN. Another plague victim?

Saint Fagans. Boring one with lots of association footbollox related crud. The Vulcan pub they're rebuilding was much more inneresting.

Freecell score: 88%, running average 85%.

"Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid": the "think you used enough dynamite there Butch" moment.

NCIS S9 E17 "Need to know".

Couldn't be arsed to watch "Rabbit Hole". Same old same old.

Fishlock's Choice: gosh he's got old. Same as the rest of us really. Barmouth Sailor's Institute. Presteigne walk.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 April 2023, 22:14.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Lunch: herby chicken, tomato and lentil soup with wholemeal

Next door (in terms of distinct buildings, not within the flats), the scaffolding is starting to come down, so I assume the chimneys have been fixed or maintained or whatever was going on with them

Comment

Working...
                      X