• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's major major motion picture premiere was The Matrix Resurrections (2021) in which a lot of the same stuff happens but differently, and it's supposed to be that way. There's a lot of references to the older films and this one is also very self-referential in various ways, which is the kind of thing I like. Maybe not as much overt philosophising as there could have been. I enjoyed it for the most part, and I'll probably conclude that I like it eventually, but I reckon I'll have to watch it a couple more times to be sure I've caught all the nuances before making a final determination

And then a rewatch of The Interpreter (2005), which is a very good thriller: not constant chases and shooting and all that, but a good underlying story about people and the ways their lives have become caught up in the complexities of global politics.

Though one does have to ask (spoiler alert): given that the eponymous interpreter is a woman who has grown up in an African country and, speaking the language widely used therein, is now working as an interpreter for that language at the UN; that she has been personally involved with the competing political leaders of that country; and that she is deeply concerned about the future of that country which she regards as her home; why, then, did they cast blonde-haired, blue-eyed Nicole Kidman for the part? Are there no Black women capable of playing such a role?

Still, she plays her part well, and at least they didn't apply blackface to her

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all
      The first of our weekend guests arrived at 10:30 last night. The others are due in about 3 hours.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

^^^ Zen Chury Om.

Morning.

Dry.

Sunny.

Blue sky (though I haven't looked).

Chilly in here at 14.9 deg.

1028 mBar, 30.356 in Hg, 771.06 Torr, 14.909 psi (down from 1029 last night), 68% RH.

Saturday.

Apparently it's a long weekend, to celebrate such I had some Southern Comfort last night, the first for some months.

Walk (unabbreviated) walked in the rather wan sunshine.

Lunch: baked potato (large) with cheese and baked beans, a red corner yog, bramble jelly sandwich, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: The News Quiz.

Freecell score: 89%, running average 84. something %.

Tea: fiery (but not particularly) bol with an excess of spag, portion control having gone out of the window, a yog, 0.91 pints of good Glengettie tea.

Entertainment: two eps of the Ancient Aliens bollox: reptilians ( to Zeity), and Alien viruses altering dna.

Underwater Stonehenge: Ancient Mysteries. More bollox, this time about underwater stonehenge off Israel.

Some other bollox about Stonehenge came on but I was henged out by that time & investigated the recently deceased heating pad which turned out to be rather clever in its way, though completely dead. Dunno what the 1n400x diode was for.

Following that excitement it was time for Yet Another Episode of Alias S2 E3 (at a gues) E2 "Trust Me": the mommy dearest one.

I may give up on Alias since I seem to have lost my taste for it. and there's another 4 seasons of it which sounds beyond endurance.

There were a few spots of rain just now.
        Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30 April 2022, 22:13.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny and rather Simpsonesque out, and quite warm at 17°C

The barometers, however, are down a little at 1019/1027mB and there's a prediction of showers, or even rain, overnight and through tomorrow

Comment

Lunch: a Pukka Pies steak slice

This was intended to be lunch some time next week, but it turned out its expiry date was today

Comment

Mundane laundry is on

And the loaves bought yesterday have been sliced with the slicing machine. And once that was done, I rearranged the freezer drawer in which the bread lives so I could fit them in.

And the company accounts have been checked, as it's the end of a VAT quarter so they need to be up to date. For some reason FreeAgent, observing that I'd paid my salary on the same day I pay it every month, had concluded that this must be payment for a Microsoft Windows 10 Professional licence, because I'd bought one of those (for a much smaller sum) earlier in the month so clearly I must have been forming a habit

Comment

Mundane laundry done and draped

And most importantly: the grand unboxing of the Henry Xtra vacuum cleaner!

I'm now gazing with a degree of astonishment at the areas of carpet I tried it out on. Impressive

Comment

In the Chinese

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Mundane laundry done and draped

And most importantly: the grand unboxing of the Henry Xtra vacuum cleaner!

I'm now gazing with a degree of astonishment at the areas of carpet I tried it out on. Impressive
                    I hope you up loaded an unboxing video. Such mundane things make interesting entertainment.

Watching The Saint while practicing my eyebrow raise.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                      In the Chinese
                      And very nice too

One of the drivers was just leaving with a few bags as I arrived, but I don't think they were busy as I was in and out in a matter of about five minutes

Comment

Working...
                      X