• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I’ll have some chocolate biscuits

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      I think I’ll have some chocolate biscuits
      I've just had a shortbread - made by HWMBO's youngest last week

Comment

The Boring Conference has been postponed

Inevitable really, given that the venue is closed for the duration

I shall be retaining my ticket against the day when it can go ahead. As James Ward says in his email: “Refunds are available on request, but it would be helpful if you held on to your ticket if you are able to. I've already bought 400 C4 manila envelopes and Bic M10 Clic pens and a bunch of other stuff.”

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Turns out I'm reading the disintegrating paperback.

Inneresting enough in its way, I'd almost forgotten about the newpaper printing wars.

And the miracle of the fax machine.

Or optical fibres coping with 12Mb/s.

Not forgetting token ring of course.
          Onwards to robotics: mentions a company call Hall Automation Ltd, designers and makers of robots in the UK.

All went well until they were acquired by GEC. What a surprise

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dyM2kv5r7-gC&pg=PA470&lpg=PA470&dq="hall+automation"+gec+rob ot+systems&source=bl&ots=kmE7lWbXyU&sig=ACfU3U0iIs u0pzPozOjKrDRgcqAu5eqWfg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwic4 v7p-qHpAhUUWsAKHZxXCGIQ6AEwBHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q="hal l%20automation"%20gec%20robot%20systems&f=false

Another of Arnie Weinstock's triumphs.

Since the books was written in 1980, it waffles on about undersea robots cutting coal under the North Sea by 2000.

And the inspiring number of robots in the UK, being, at the time, 125, compared with 2000 in the USA, a 1000 in Japan, etc.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            I've just had a shortbread - made by HWMBO's youngest last week

You are dating a family of chefs?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              You are dating a family of chefs?
              Pretty much.

The eldest (16) is a very good cook. The youngest (13) is learning the ropes. His ex is decent enough too, apparently. The wider family seem to all be competent.

Then I come along and bring the average down

HWMBO's plan is to ensure the kids will eat well when they go to university.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                The Boring Conference has been postponed

Inevitable really, given that the venue is closed for the duration

I shall be retaining my ticket against the day when it can go ahead. As James Ward says in his email: “Refunds are available on request, but it would be helpful if you held on to your ticket if you are able to. I've already bought 400 C4 manila envelopes and Bic M10 Clic pens and a bunch of other stuff.”
                That's a shame. But it does mean I may be able to pick up a returned ticket for the rescheduled event!

Comment

That's a shame. But it does mean I may be able to pick up a returned ticket for the rescheduled event!

Comment

Pretty much.

The eldest (16) is a very good cook. The youngest (13) is learning the ropes. His ex is decent enough too, apparently. The wider family seem to all be competent.

Then I come along and bring the average down

HWMBO's plan is to ensure the kids will eat well when they go to university.
                    Sounds good. Both my kids were taught by Mrs LM. Nothing special but LMette was the only one in her course that could do more than whack something in a microwave or oven for the allotted time.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

And that's the first of the Peter Large "Micro Revolution" books done with.

Now for the one printed on actual paper that's not gone yellow.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X