• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    No telly tonight; instead I continued reading The Great Influenza. It gets up to nearly page 100 before the influenza actually starts, being up to that point an examination of how medical education developed in the USA from the mid-1800s onwards. As I recall, this is all somewhat relevant later, but it’s quite a bit of groundwork

Looks like, despite being called “the Spanish flu”, it actually originated in a remote area of Kansas where the main activity was livestock farming; as this included pigs, I assume it might have come from them. Then it got exported to Europe by troopship, and the poor old Spaniards ended up getting the blame

Another earlyish night for me, as the lurgy may be improving but hasn’t yet relinquished its grip

Goodnight all
    I did read somewhere that it is called "Spanish Flu" as Spain was the only(?) country that bothered to record cases of infected/dead.

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

The reading of the various tomes is not going so well today, so I've been sorting stuff off the bookshelves that can go to a charity emporium when I get a round tuit.

There's a phenomenal number of books I'll probably never read*.

Not to mention the ancient textbooks that no one will ever read.

I donate stuff to Oxfam & I'm convinced that most of it ends up pulped.

Not to mention the tons of databooks I've taken to the skip since no one would ever want to read them coz they're long obsolete.

*"I hate my boss", £3 in 1999 from WHS. "The new guide to working from home", £5.99 from WHS sometime in the late 1990s, probably 1997ish when I was made redundant for the 2nd time in the 1990s and started contracting for a while (it's so up to date that IR35 was then a nightmare in the distant future).
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 13 March 2020, 17:15.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
        I did read somewhere that it is called "Spanish Flu" as Spain was the only(?) country that bothered to record cases of infected/dead.

qh
        Because Spain was neutral in WWI, and thus had no reason to hide the deaths from the opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Went out the back to check the main gate. It was open, so I locked it, muttering vague imprecations against those who leave it open

Then, walking back in, I heard the bin lorry from the next street, realised it needs to be open today until the bins have been done, checked the bins and found they hadn’t been done, and went back and unlocked it again
          Update: for some reason they left the bins that are out the back. No idea why. They also left the bins from the street, which they’re supposed to put back outside the houses whence they came, in a huddle blocking the gate and the pavement

Comment

Having recently watched "The Last Man on Earth", "The Omega Man", and less recently "I am Leg End", the evening's gotterdamerung style entertainment begins with "Terminator" and is pencilled in to continue with "Terminator II: Judgement Day".

I'm practically word perfect with the original.

I have a choice of versions for T2, the theatrical dvd and the Director's Cut dvd version.

Comment

My brain is fried.

Out of 12 or 13 sets of instructions I have to write, I have done 7.

HWMBO went to Sainsbury's up on Cromwell Road and said it was bedlam with many shelves bare or empty. No icing sugar. I think I have enough anyway for the cake I was considering making. He was able to find a nice bottle of gin on offer though. Shortage of tonic. Wine stash topped up.

He then kindly made me a G&T while I finished off instruction set #7.

Dinner is being prepped. No idea what it will be.

Comment

It's Friday, I'm in Love... not that I have been Cured, but at least I'm in the mood.

Braai Time

Angus Rump tonight, Macedonian salad, Batatas Bravas, Caixas Albariño

(4 Nations of great joy, no division...)
                Last edited by Scruff; 13 March 2020, 19:02.
                I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                  It's Friday, I'm in Love... not that I have been Cured, but at least I'm in the mood.

Braai Time

Angus Rump tonight, Macedonian salad, Batatas Bravas, Caixas Albariño

(4 Nations of great joy, no division...)
                  made with fresh bats?

lamb dhansak with pillow rice, from the local emporium for dinner.
                  very nice.
                  and a nice rioja.

telly's mehhh, again.

oh, well.

got some proper work done this week.
                  and WFH in my own office for the forseeable future.
                  happy daze <unless i die, of course>

happy friday peeps.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                    Having recently watched "The Last Man on Earth", "The Omega Man", and less recently "I am Leg End", the evening's gotterdamerung style entertainment begins with "Terminator" and is pencilled in to continue with "Terminator II: Judgement Day".

I'm practically word perfect with the original.

I have a choice of versions for T2, the theatrical dvd and the Director's Cut dvd version.
                    Sarah Connor - People Directory - 192.com

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      I was thinking of rewatching I Am Ankle some time - I get to choose between the original ending and the alternative ending, presumably I Am Hip

Comment

Working...
                      X