• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To the Chinese for dinner, as usual, and very nice it was, as usual

Things there were in a slightly chaotic state when I arrived. The Lady of the Counter had had to go out to make a delivery, one of the delivery drivers having failed to show. The other delivery driver (who's worked there for yonks), who was waiting for a couple of orders to go out, took my order and passed it on to the kitchen, but was unable to take payment.

Then Boss Lady returned, very harassed, and was able to take my money. I told her I wouldn't ask if she was busy, but I don't think she heard me as she was already heading off into the kitchen to shout a lot in Cantonese (I assume) before rushing out again with another delivery

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
      Glen Miller.
      I sometimes went walking past the remains of Twinwood Airfield, whence Glen Miller departed on his last flight, when I was young
      Last edited by NickFitz; 5 October 2019, 21:12. Reason: Linkage

Comment

There's the remains of a dummy airfield on the top of the mountain behind me.

No Glen Miller was involved in this, however.

One of the servicemen posted there was billeted on my grandparents.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          I just watch stuff.
          if it's crap <in my view>, i stop watching.

Indeed. I've encountered films I really enjoyed that turn out to have been panned by others, and we all have widely admired films that we personally think are garbage. (I've never understood the Star Wars fandom myself; it struck me as a film for twelve-year-olds when it came out, and nothing I've seen in the behaviour of its admirers since has convinced me they've ever moved beyond that stage in their lives.)

Anyhoo, tonight's entertainment started with the quintessential CUK film Gladiator (2000) - IMDb, which I've never actually seen before; this was the "extended" edition, which apparently means a bit more explication of the backstory of various bits. It's all very good for what it is, though I'm reasonably sure that it's a far from accurate depiction of the Roman Empire at that or any other point in its existence. Nice to see that Derek Jacobi playing a Roman at his real age of ~62 looked a fair bit younger than Derek Jacobi at his real age of 38 playing a Roman of about the age of 62 in I, Claudius, though - the BBC makeup department did a cracking job in the latter but obviously underestimated his resilience

And after that, I decided to rewatch the excellent Korean film Aknyeo (2017) - IMDb, which I first watched last year. Good stuff in the mayhem department

The rain that was supposed to continue all night and all of the day has petered out, though there may be some stray showers tomorrow

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Anyhoo, tonight's entertainment started with the quintessential CUK film Gladiator (2000) - IMDb, which I've never actually seen before
            It's in a pile somewhere. I've never watched it.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            And after that, I decided to rewatch the excellent Korean film Aknyeo (2017) - IMDb, which I first watched last year. Good stuff in the mayhem department
            I doubt that it's likely to appear in the 50p emporia.

Morning all if all there be

Dry.

Sunny.

White sky.

Slightly warmer at 16.8 deg in here.

Sunday.

It took a long time to figure out it was Sunday at 03:30 this morning.

I don't know why since it doesn't fecking matter in the slightest.

On the Starwars (tm) front, Only Nixon could go to China.

Comment

Jane Austen House this morning. I usually get my culture from a yoghurt pot...

Quick exit...
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

<taps screen: this thing is fecked again, innit?>

Still sunny.

Still dry.

Beef roasted.

I still can't get the fecking timing right.

Today's idiocy was leaving the lid off the roasting tin when I put the damn thing in.

The brain rot is progressing well.

Comment

Afternoon all.

dry at the moment, but i think rain's in the post.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Still a bit blustery and overcast out, but slightly more Simpsonesque conditions are starting to move in from the east

Comment

Sun's gone in and the sky is now blue & white.

Comment

Working...
                      X